Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Seat Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 06:27 PM
lorenzg
Advanced

Question Seat Belt Replacement

I'm about to undertake the replacement of the seat belts on my '81 Targa. The current belts look like mohair sweaters. My biggest concern is removing the interior rear quarter panels w/o descroying them. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My Bentley book doesn't say much about the interior.
Thanks, Rich Lorenz
Old 04-06-2004 | 01:13 AM
TerryH
Intermediate

I replaced my drivers side recently. It took about 45 minutes because it was my first time. Probably knock that in half next time.

I removed the back tray first with the back seats folded down. Then removed the belt trim piece just below the rear 1/4 glass that holds down the trim panel. Then I lifted up and back and out it came. There are small prongs on the back of the trim panels that are captured by hooks so lift as you remove them.
Old 04-06-2004 | 09:43 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

I also replaced my driver's side belt but didn't remove the rear tray to get the rear quarter piece out. Just start removing trip strips by starting with the threshold trim and it is easy from there.

Good luck,

Noel
Old 04-09-2004 | 01:25 PM
lorenzg
Advanced

Terry, Noel
Thanks for your advice. It worked out great. Took me about 30 minutes. You just gotta have faith that the trim piece below the side window will come loose. I was able to replace the retractor w/o completely removing the side panel. The new belts work great. BTW, I got them at a real great price from dc Automotive (now located in NC). Rich

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Replacement