Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Affordable wiring loom options

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021 | 11:47 AM
Anglocanadian
AutoX

Default Affordable wiring loom options

I was looking at less costly alternatives to the purpose built early 911 looms and checked out the Painless Performance looms for the Corsair.
They offer a pro series without connectors and extra length on the wires with a range from 21 to 28 circuits for around $500.
I would appreciate any opinions or alternatives.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...=Corvair&sb1=+

Thanks
Old 06-08-2021 | 12:14 PM
Cloggie
Burning Brakes

I just did my '89, complete frame off restoration and had my wiring loom on my pool table for several months.

Main conclusion I would come to is that amazingly, virtually every wire was in good shape....the insulation was good, flexible and looked like new once you stripped the loom wrapping off. The areas that had issues include the door harnesses (central locking, alarm, stereo) but those are available new from Porsche as well as a couple of areas in the engine compartment.

My thought (and what I am doing) is to keep your original harness, replace the bad sub-looms and replace the engine harness as it takes most of the heat - literally - and is the one that most benefits from replacement. That way you keep the standard wiring, can use the standard parts, connectors and so forth and generally be happier I think.

I did repurpose some parts of the harness to do some special things (like intermittent rear wiper, CHT, EGT etc) but again, my harness was basically all good.

Alternative if your harness is damaged (say badly cut) then you might consider looking for a used harness, realizing that Porsche did not replace every wiring harness every year, they added to them and also repurposed although the pre=74 harness is definitely different than the later one.
Old 06-08-2021 | 12:56 PM
Anglocanadian
AutoX

Mine is also a full rotisserie job , 1970 T restomod .
The loom is in a garbage bag hung in the garage roof, filthy dirty and also covered in over spray in areas.
My intention is for a fresh clean and neat install .
Old 06-10-2021 | 05:20 AM
frederik
Rennlist Member

Kroon wiring is good and expensive of course. But now they also offer a "repair kit" with the most common connectors that you need to repair an existing wiring loom in an original way.
https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/p...product_id=893
Old 06-10-2021 | 09:18 AM
Anglocanadian
AutoX

Thank you that could be really helpful to save searching out all the odd connectors needed.
I'm leaning toward the Ron Francis Wiring harness as it does get good recommendations Porsche and otherwise.
http://www.ronfrancis.com/product/550#minicart_a
Old 06-10-2021 | 09:59 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Similar to what Cloggie proposes I carefully removed the entire wiring harness (and all sub harnesses) on my 72 S/T build and shipped them off to Timmy2 (on Pelican) who restored everything to basically “as new” condition. This was 4 1/2 years and 12,000 miles ago. Happy to report not one electrical problem. Nick

Last edited by NickyP; 06-10-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 06-10-2021 | 11:58 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was also going to suggest timmy2 (Dennis) at Pelican. He's been making and restoring harnesses for eight years now. See this thread: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...harnesses.html

Mark

Quick Reply: Affordable wiring loom options