Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advice on new build

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 07:04 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Advice on new build

I'm looking for some sage advice from others on my plan and identify potential issues before they cost me real money. I've always wanted to build my own 73 RS style 911, possibly something in the vein of this:

But, I have a two car garage and my wife would not appreciate me taking over her spot for several months as I do an engine rebuild. So, is it a terrible idea to start with an engine rebuild and then secure a donor car (or chassis) later? While I'm doing the engine rebuild, I can have the engine be on my side of the garage and once I'm finished and have a chassis on hand, I can store the engine under the chassis's engine bay while it's on the lifts. That's what I did when I did my engine out reseal on my 964 (I moved the engine back and forth between my wife's spot and under my car as needed).

Assuming that isn't a terrible misguided idea, next decision point is what's the best place to start for a 2.7 RS engine build? Should I go 7R case or should I stick to an aluminum case? Is it going to be prohibitively expensive starting a build with a case (maybe a case plus a donor engine)? Otherwise, hat would be a good donor engine to replicate the rev happy nature that I often see journalists describe the RS engine as. 964/993 engines are also an option but my view towards this build is to have something that will be fun driving near the speed limit not the go to jail speeds. Some day I'll pick up a GT3 when budget and space constraints permit a 2nd toy but for now, I'd rather have something like the above car.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm sure some of this has been covered before so I apologize in advance but my google fu is weak on this question.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:53 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

it isn't a terrible misguided idea

7R is the best of the Mg cases; Al is stronger but heavier tho not by much (20 lb.?) ---> Mg for 2.7 or 2.8L AND you can use the wonderful road-racing shift pattern typ 911 trans.
in a rust belt state, go Al; otherwise Mg I think

buy a copy of Bruce Anderson's book

think about induction systems for a while...

paint it sage green

Quick Reply: Advice on new build