1974 911 - Barn Find - New to 911 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 04:23 PM
wilke_jb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1974 911 - Barn Find - New to 911 - Questions

Hello all,
I am not new here but I have been out of the Porsche family for a few years. I have had a 944 and a 928 - loved them both and have always wanted a 911 - this was my chance! I am super excited about this car as it has been sitting as shown for 30 years in this garage. I pulled it out and towed it home - it seems to be all there. Pictures are "as found" and after getting it home and quickly washing it off. Shows 10k but looking at the documents it is 110K. Common rust spots are there - lower doors, front wings, lower A - pillars. The rear of the car is spotless. Rockers look good as does the front suspension mounting points. Rear ducktail is not original to the car - and it is not a carrera. Interior is ok - has a small hole in the cloth drivers seat, needs a headliner and door pockets. Engine matches the number in the original owners manual - I don't know about the trans? I'm going to do a tune-up, redo the fuel components, engine gaskets and check the cylinders/head studs, redo brake components along with alot of other things. After getting it home and in the light I found out that the whole front of the car has been replaced at some point in the distant past (35+ years?) - I mean everything in front of the shifter and the lower A-pillars have been cut off and another car has been welded on! Although this isn't ideal I guess it doesn't bother me and actually makes me feel more free to do what I want with this car. I am really looking forward to driving this thing! I do want to reach out to anyone here and see what you think it does to the value of the car though? I don't want to put $20k into a car that won't ever be worth that - I wonder if it would be smarter to buy another car and part this one out or sell as is? Just thinking out loud and any help or ideas will be appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:49 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

how good is the graft?
Old 05-20-2021, 08:53 PM
wilke_jb
AutoX

Well - it looks pretty good - honestly it took me 2 weeks to even notice it - athough there were signs. It was a factory AC car but it looks like the holes for the blower on the front are hand cut. I also notice some gold paimt in certain places and the driver's side door rear gap is a pinch too tight. I think maybe in the excitement of getting the car I just overlooked the issues and didn't put 2 and 2 together until I started really looking at the car. The car looks straight though other than the door issue and I think I can fix that. I havent made any measurements yet but need to and will. Where can a guy get the factory body measurements?
Old 05-20-2021, 10:41 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Here you go, from the factory manual.

Mark
Old 05-20-2021, 11:27 PM
wilke_jb
AutoX

Wow! Ask and recieve! Thanks so much - ill report back in a couple days when i have time to measure!
Old 05-21-2021, 02:23 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

put it on a Cellette to really see if it on straight

the other issue is the integrity of the welds

or of the JB Weld
Old 05-21-2021, 02:33 PM
wilke_jb
AutoX

Great advice. I have already called 6 shops local to me. 3 said they only do insurance work, 1 is out of business, 1 didn't even know what I was talking about doing (nor did they have a table, haha) and the last one hasn't called me back yet. I'll keep trying - I think this is the best way to go for sure. I think if I question the welds I can just replace the front pan and possibly the rockers it will do away with the bottom seam. I already need to replace the lower part of the A pillar. With the measurements I have I think I can get it right. Just based on my 'eyeball' measurement the drivers side is about 3/16 to 1/4" too tight. I think I can make a jig from the RH side to get the door placement correct and move the drivers side forward about 3/16" Obviously I won't do anything until I do some measurements - preferably on a table.

Quick Reply: 1974 911 - Barn Find - New to 911 - Questions