Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Re: The Perils of Bogus Porsche parts - was 964 Studs - RaceWare, Dilavar, 993 or ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 04:38 PM
RACEWARE
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Re: The Perils of Bogus Porsche parts - was 964 Studs - RaceWare, Dilavar, 993 or ???

Any company that would manufacture and sell a 911 head stud and recommend a tightening torque of 60 ft/lbs. doesn't have a clue in the World about how the 911 engine is designed and constructed.

It has been reported by customers that torquing the head studs to 60 ft/lbs. has resulted in stripped engine cases, bent cylinder heads, split cylinders and cracked engine cases.

That being said, what do you think the odds are that said company actually designed a PROPER 911 head stud if they don't even have a clue about the torque specs???

Buyer Beware applies to Porsche people purchasing parts from Marketeers who lack even the most basic Porsche engine design knowledge. You're the one who ends up dealing with the engine damage after you purchase bogus parts.

Randy Hubbard
Race-Tech Engineering, Inc. www.raceware-fasteners.com
Old 10-24-2001, 04:53 PM
Howard
Racer

Randy,

Thanks for the info, the last engine I built I believe I torqued the studs to 31 lbs, even then I cringed at the possibility of stripping the tapped holes in the case although the holes were inserted. How could anyone believe that a cast aluminum case could withstand a torque setting of 60 lbs ?
BTW, I believe Raceware makes the best hardware !
Old 10-24-2001, 05:09 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Hey! Where's the rest of the thread? I think this is one I started!

FWIW, I ordered a set of Raceware studes and nuts just about 20 minutes ago.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:20 AM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

Along those same lines, I saw a torque spec for the studs which hold the strainer cover in a tech article listed at 20 ft/lb, the same as the drain plug. Since, for example, the valve cover studs, which are 6 mm in diameter also, get torqued to 5 ft/lb, why on earth would someone call for 20 ft/lb on the 6 mm diameter stud holding the strainer cover?
In the end we all have examine all the tech "advice" floating around out there and do what makes sense.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:21 PM
RACEWARE
5th Gear

There's a lot more to designing a PROPER cylinder head stud than just the torque spec. If these folks have no clue on the correct torque spec how did they determine what material to use, or what tensile strength was appropriate, or how much clamp force was required, etc. etc. ??? The answer should be obvious... If they had no clue as to the 911 engine design how could they have possibly engineered their 911 head stud PROPERLY ???

Randy Hubbard
Race-Tech Engineering, Inc. www.raceware-fasteners.com

Quick Reply: Re: The Perils of Bogus Porsche parts - was 964 Studs - RaceWare, Dilavar, 993 or ???