1988 Targa - need purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1988 Targa - need purchase advice

Hi all
I did some reading about the 3.2 cars and have a few ideas what to look for, but would love to get some recent experience/price etc. input.

I am a long time Porsche owner, used to have a 944 S2, 1990 C2 Targa, a few other street and track cars. Still have a GT4 and a 996 C4 cab.

A friend is selling a car and I may buy it. Triple black 1988 Targa, 140K miles or so. Prices are all over the place from about $30-35 on the low end (mostly convertible) to 5-60 and up to $75K for well cared for cars, primarily coupes.

I am familiar with basic things to look for, such as engine, smoke at start, service records, size of wheels, clutch, shocks, typical rust points, etc.
Anything beyond a good PPI and checking general function (windows, heat/AC etc.), smoothness of tranny (G50) ?
Thanks in advance
Laz
Old 05-07-2021, 09:39 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like you have the basics. With those miles, doing leak down and/or compression is advisable. If it is a good friend you can rely on then know the oil consumption is nice to have. I assume he will be forthcoming with that kind of information.

On a lift, do a good inspection of the suspension components, wheel bearings, etc. The rear sway bar is weak point, a lot have had a repair by now, but check it out.

Wear items, brakes, tires, etc. Clutch - has it been replaced and updated to latest spec, I would guess yes with those miles.

Price, who knows, on that car it is condition number one. Targa's have become popular again, so maybe a small premium for that. Is the top in good condition? I think they can be temperamental .

Good luck,
Old 05-07-2021, 11:55 AM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! I agree the Targa top is an important part - I had to have it redone on my (now long time gone) 1990 C2 Targa.
It was pretty pricey. I think the biggest issue is if the car needs an engine and/or transmission work.
With parts and labor going up it can be very expensive.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

No question the engine work is quite pricey, having done a rebuild on mine, which came a bit early for the mileage. Transmissions are pretty bulletproof, clutch is a clutch. Also if it has limited slip and it has not been serviced, then you don't have a limited slip any longer, those wear out pretty quickly.

It is an old car, with a lot of miles, stuff wears out, but the good news is everything is availabe.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 AM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having just purchased an 87 cabriolet..I would advise you to make sure PPI includes checking head studs. I have seen anecdotal evidence that failure rate on these is increasing as these cars age. Unfortunately for me..my PPI didn't cover these..and within a month of purchase I'm on the short end of a 15k engine rebuild!
The following users liked this post:
Sancho22 (05-08-2021)

Quick Reply: 1988 Targa - need purchase advice