Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replacing 1985 911 Cabriolet Top. Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 PM
db_murray
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 1985 911 Cabriolet Top. Advice needed.

I am about to replace the top on my 1985 911 Cab top. I have a couple of questions:

-What top should I go with (type and manufacture), where to purchase it?
-It's a zipper top. Can I replace it with a non zipper top?
-I have never had a headliner. Which style do you recommend?
-Is there anything I might want to check on or maintenance to do when the top is off the car?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Old 05-05-2021, 03:35 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure what's best for you, but here's what I did, in case it gives you any ideas:

'85 cabriolet. Top was in pretty good shape, but the rear window had discolored and was stiffening, maybe becoming brittle.

So what I did was to remove just the rear half of the top - from the zipper on back. I then mailed that to Autos International (same people I got my replacement front seat covers from). They replaced the vinyl window and mailed it back to me. I reinstalled that. Very happy with the solution. I've found the original canvas top to be very high quality, and with my car garaged, it has remained so.

I think it is common for cabriolet (or convertible for other brands) tops with vinyl windows to have the window need replacement before the canvas does, so if that's your situation, something like this might work for you.

Quick Reply: Replacing 1985 911 Cabriolet Top. Advice needed.