Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question for the young owners. . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:56 PM
MaybeWhenIGetaJob...
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the young owners. . .

(I'm going to apologize in advance for the typical banal newbie commentary preceding my first post )

Hey y'all -- I've been distracting myself from my senior thesis for the last couple of days by reading just about every flippin post since last year -- great place!!! (unfortunately this will all come back to bite me in the @$$ Monday around 4pm )

Anywhoodle, I've decided after perusing this forum that my first car will be a 911, just as soon as I find myself a suitable employer (hopefully prior to may 14th). Prices seem to be reasonable enough for a 3.2, but the kicker for me is going to be insurance! Are there any 22ish owners out there that have successfully insured their cars for a vaugely reasonable price? I got a quote from Progressive, but I cant even count that high, let alone pay that much. I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer is no, so the followup question is, when do the rates begin to drop out of the stratosphere? Are there any particular companies that you would reccomend? (no track use) Thanks!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 07:43 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the rates drop at 25 and also when you marry. They seem to think marriage makes you more responsible.>>>>>>>>>>HA HA!!

Glad to hear that the first car will be a 911.

Cheers
Chaz
Old 04-02-2004, 08:09 PM
MaybeWhenIGetaJob...
AutoX

Damn -- three years is a long time.... maybe i'll just mailorder a bride from russia (just as long as she dosent want to drive it!)
Old 04-03-2004, 12:33 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance is a lot cheaper than a bride, although not nearly as rewarding if you find the right one.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:01 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am over 50 and still pay over $3000 a yr for coverage in the DC area,,good luck at age 22. Make sure you get very good coverage and get that $1.0 mil umbrella coverage since you may need it someday.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:02 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I'm 23, married, but my 70T liability only actually dropped our overall insurance charge. My wife has an '03 4Runner, and we now pay less per month than we did with one car on our policy, the discounts for multiple cars are more than the charges for my T. Company is Geico, if I wanted full coverage I'd have to get a supplementary policy from a collector car company. The age probably has a bearing on this though, a 84-89 would probably be more. The best solution, get a 69-73, and stick a 3.2 in it, best of both worlds!
Old 04-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 1980 SC is $300/year to insure for street with Hagerty with a $17K agreed upon value and $300/year for track insurance with American Collectors. It may be cheaper to get a daily driver and then a 911 for a second car. Hagerty makes you submit photos of the car to verify condition and of the garage where it is kept and will only insure it as a second car.

Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:35 PM
MaybeWhenIGetaJob...
AutoX

Ouch -- sounds like i'll be living in the wrong place at the wrong age at the wrong time to be single and trying to insure the wrong car, but somehow that doesnt make me want it any less . . .

It might just be mass transit for a while (but i hear that those trains handle like they're on rails! *rimshot* ) I guess that'll give me some time to do a lot of test drivin and find the perfect car <------ [stretch for silver lining.]

Thanks for the advice everybody!
Old 04-03-2004, 11:10 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

about 8 or 900 a year for liability on the nine dozen. im 23. (i use progressive)

as soon as i hit 25, going through hagerty, getting full coverage collector car insurance. in the mean time, im spending money on upgrading suspension, and saving up for a killer rebuild with shatsa p&c's, scat ultra light weight crank, and a whole hoast of 912 goodies... can you say reliable 912 with lots more power
Old 04-04-2004, 12:35 AM
MaybeWhenIGetaJob...
AutoX

Wow -- Progressive quoted me at something close to $6k per year on an 87 coupe. Cabman and Noel had good points though -- insuring a 911 as my only car in the DC metro area is simply going to be expensive any way you slice it.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:00 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

will, year and model have alot to do with it. i have a 912.. 100 hp stock. not much threatening about a 912 when it comes to insurers (other than replacing parts and repairing etc if its wrecked.. again i only have liability, not full coverage)
Old 04-04-2004, 03:01 AM
MaybeWhenIGetaJob...
AutoX

I understand that my model choice is going to be an issue, but a 1000% markup for a 150% increase in hp hurts! Plus I've only been lurking around the 911 and 964 boards (with the occasional outlandish peek into the carrera GT). . . havent yet been convinced of the virtures of the 912! -- Side note, I seem to recall that someone in a past thread said that their insurance company dropped them because they had installed a rollbar in their Cab because that made it a "track car" -- If i'm not just making this up, what other mods qualify a car as a track car in the eyes of the insurance industry?
Old 04-04-2004, 03:15 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

virtues of a 912.. great well balanced car, can out handle the 911, easier to work, on, going up in values (they have about doubled in value in the last 5 years). more hp than a 914, only 20 less than stock 911 of same year, beautuful original lines of early 901 body style, and they can **** and git as well when properly maintained, built, and with the correct goodies.
shatsa Pitsons and cylenders, scat crank, as well as some other stuff in a correctly built motor will give you around 140 hp, while being very reliable. our engines can go from mild to wild. its not what most people think it is. most people think it has a vw motor etc... and that they are crap and thats only b/c a good number of them were owned by bumpkins who couldnt properly maintain them. a number of them were previous vw owners who couldt understand its a porsche 356 motor, and has to be maintained like a 356.

not only that, but the 912 registry are some of the best group of porsche owners... nicest people you could ever meet, and very knowlegdable and passionate about these cars, as well as the other owners.

a 912s a great car, but not for everyone. a completely diferent beast from what your looking at. obviously from what your looking at, a 912 isnt what you have in mind. but i thought id give my 2 cents here since youre asking about young porsche owners and insurance. (btw.. i cant believe how much that would cost for you!!!!!!!!! OUCH)
Old 04-04-2004, 12:34 PM
gerry100
Pro

Will-

I don't have much to add, but you made me remember how interesting and absorbing some subjects become when you're supposed to be studying something else.( I read most of " the godfather" while studying thermodynamics.)

I'd suggest you get established with some money in the bank before you get into and old 911. They can be comparable in price to a new econobox, but econoboxes don't suudenly develop maintenance/repair with three zero bills.

So I'd wait and search carefully - but don't wait 30yrs like I did.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Ian964
Pro

I had my 964 Turbo when I was 22, I'm 24 now and I pay about 2k a year. Not to bad I think....

Quick Reply: Question for the young owners. . .