Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Impact on value from previous government seizure

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021 | 09:23 PM
Bill808
AutoX

Default Impact on value from previous government seizure

I'm looking at a nice 3.2 with a G50 that's for sale by the current owner (who has had it for a few years). He's missing service records prior to his ownership. I did some digging to try and get history on the car. I found out it was seized by the attorney general as part of a criminal case years ago. This explains the gap in records. What impact if any does this have on the value of the car now, and in the future?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2021 | 08:32 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill808
I'm looking at a nice 3.2 with a G50 that's for sale by the current owner (who has had it for a few years). He's missing service records prior to his ownership. I did some digging to try and get history on the car. I found out it was seized by the attorney general as part of a criminal case years ago. This explains the gap in records. What impact if any does this have on the value of the car now, and in the future?

Thanks!
It appears from your narrative that the current seller obtained it following the seizure. What can the seller tell you about the nature of the seizure? If you are looking for a decent car I’d be less concerned with that hiccup on the ownership history than I would with a major accident....unless it was dismantled and reassembled by feds removing contraband. Maybe
it was seized as part of a fraud or tax prosecution, and perhaps the owner babied the car? If the seller is forthcoming with info, then assess the facts and decide whether they are prejudicial to the car’s described/assessed condition. If you are looking to buy an investment car, then every anomaly or missing receipt or paint chip will induce anxiety and debate.
Old 04-23-2021 | 06:07 PM
Bill808
AutoX

Thank you for the reply. It was part of a larger case that appears to be assets being reclaimed due to the way they were obtained (money from illegal medical practices/fraud). No indication that it would have been dismantled for any reason. The purchase would be for me personally but knowing my track record of how I switch vehicles I want to make sure my investment is protected. I feel that the asking price is on the high end of the typical scale for year, model, mileage, etc. and I feel like this issue further reduces that prices. All good points, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-25-2021 | 06:37 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Are you purchasing a car, or a Monet? Don't worry about someone else's perception of the value of the car. If the purchase price is worth having and driving the car to you, then get it. If not, then don't.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shawn Stanford:
69-912-SWT (01-12-2022), Bill808 (04-27-2021), raspritz (04-25-2021)
Old 04-30-2021 | 02:44 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

If it has a clean title that can be signed over to you, and you can register the car, I wouldn't worry about other details. Assuming it's a "plain" MY87-forward Carrera, highly questionable whether it will ever become the next '72 911S coupe let alone '73 RS. Buy it, drive it, love it.
The following users liked this post:
Bill808 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-01-2021 | 01:18 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

I can't figure out why there's such a hype regarding service records ...
When i bought my car 11 years ago , the PO which was a work colleague had a pile of insignificant invoices for dealer oil changes, brake pad replacements, battery changes
only because he didn't know the difference between a ratchet and a wrench.
Now if i were going to sell my car , i would have to tell the potential buyer that i have not one single service record for the
last twelve years !

Does that mean my car was not maintained ... hell no , it has the best of the best in upgrades of all kinds which i've done myself
and i can say that i'm into the 60K range including the 25K i paid for the car at the time.The only way to determine the current value of a car
is with a thorough PPI performed by a competent shop that knows these cars.
If the car passes with flying colors and it suits your budget and your aspirations , do you really need a pile of service records ?

Just sayin ...

Cheers
Phil
The following 2 users liked this post by wildcat077:
69-912-SWT (01-12-2022), Bill808 (05-05-2021)
Old 01-12-2022 | 07:46 PM
s9ix
Intermediate

EDIT: Forum took me to wrong post; my apologies
Old 01-13-2022 | 02:33 AM
My991
Racer

I second what wildcat said ^ and if there were any service records I would be interested in it would be those that included recent work especially for any major overhaul work on transmission or engine. Beyond that I would have a quality PPI done on the car and if it’s clean your good to go

Quick Reply: Impact on value from previous government seizure