Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Doug,

Amen! Juan
Old 04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just some more unsolicited comments... when you dump the kind of money onto cars as we do... and then have to strip it off in 9 months... you want to get something out of it.... evern if it is just a soapbox...

JL is ***** on... if money is an objest (and when is it not?) make a long term goals and set a plan.... Are you are just looking to do 2-4 DE a year for fun? Are you looking to become a DE instructor... are you going to club race?

The ultimate car for each will be different.... lots of good stuff on forums to help you... design your end game car.

If you want to build it, which can be fun... make sure each mod is a step in the plan...

Otherwise buy your ultimate car already done.... all comments above are relevant... some thoughts here..

As pointed out, built cars range from beautifully turned-out professional cars to home handyman horror shows..... hang out with the track bums in the club.... find out who the best shops are that your club uses... cars are always changing hands as follows...

" did you hear Joe Moneybags is selling his car?

"man that car is beautiful... he dumped a ton in that car....."

"yeah, Racing Specialties did all the work on it... its there every time I stop by..."

"he only did about 8-10 events in it..."

Buy that car
Old 04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,126 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally posted by JCP911S

" did you hear Joe Moneybags is selling his car?

"man that car is beautiful... he dumped a ton in that car....."

"yeah, Racing Specialties did all the work on it... its there every time I stop by..."

"he only did about 8-10 events in it..."

Buy that car
Totally agree with the above. If you're careful with the pre-owned track car (educate yourself about the car in question and what you need in a car), you can end up with a car that is FAR less expensive thanwhat one would cost to build. There is a huge downside if you don't do your homework first, but there are some good opportunities out there. I NEVER could've afforded to build the track car I bought used (one half day on the track...) from the Rennlist Classifieds. Now that I've tracked it over a dozen times (with a couple additions along the way - notably 930 brakes from Steve W), the car is almost exactly what I'd want from my "wish list" for a small fraction of the "build" cost.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:50 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

outstanding guys!!!
absolutely invaluable
Old 04-02-2004, 03:04 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

We paid the price so you can save....
Old 04-02-2004, 08:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found this ad on the internet (Early 911S site). I know nothing about the car, but I thought it may be of interest as an illustration, if nothing else...
-Grant

For Sale:
1969 911 RSR Conversion
3.5 liter, 46mm Webers, Crank Fire Twin Plug Ignition, Jerry Woods cams, CMW big valve heads, Type 915 trans completely rebuilt at cost of $12,600 includes Quaife ltd slip, Wevo shift kit, short gears, 930 synchros, RS oil pump, 930 suspension front & rear, coil overs, RSR struts & shocks, 930 brakes & drilled rotors, 22mm master cylinder, 2 sets of 3 piece custom wheels w/Fuchs centers and BBS halves 16x9s fronts & 17x11s rear, Recaro SPG seats, Momo wheel, RSA lightweight door panels, 5 point Simpson Harness. Full fiberglass RSR bodywork w/3.8 carbon fiber tail, custom full roll cage, Lexan windows & C2 glass windshield, lots more. Built for PCA track events but still fully streetable & registered. Asking $39,500 or B/O.

Also available with lightweight aluminum trailer for $1,500.

Photos available via e-mail upon request

Contact Cris Huergas (510) 219-2667 or via e-mail at: CRgrp2@aol.com
Old 04-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Oh man,...I see SOOOO many things I'd throw out with that one.

IMHO,....$ 39,500, or anything close, for that is really too much.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve - Do tell. I think we could all learn something about what to look for.

Thanks,
Grant
Old 04-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hiya Grant:

LOL,.......This is kind of a touchy subject for many folks and everyone has their own valid opinions,....

I am the result of my own particular experiences over the past 30 years with things like these and all I can do is offer the benefits of that.

Since there are some very kind folks here who read these Forums that might take offense with my opinions (and I mean no disrespect), I'd rather respond directly to whomever asks for an opinion as its rather complex.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:06 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve - Fair enough This just happened to be the first street legal track car I came across after 5 minutes of looking on the web. Just threw it out as an example. I'm sure there are others out there that might be better buys. But I can't argue with your point that if you have something built to your specs by folks you trust, that would be the preferred method (price independent). And you certainly CAN end up spending even more if you have to re-engineer someone else's mistakes. Maybe there are some cars built by Rennsport Systems that change hands occasionally. I'm sure those would be interesting!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:08 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just fishing, but my guess is that car... even if it is an excellent example... is probably too much fpr the requirement stated...For $25K an SC/Carrara with a few upgrades is an awesome track car.... if you are going to build... find a car with an excellent motor and gearbox, and a straight tub... everything else can be crummy, as you will replace alot of it anyway....

Add torsion bars, adjustable sway bars, shocks and possibly race bushings... IMHO, the bushings are going to do more to make the car miserable on the street than anything, so if you are looking for a place to compromise, and if you are just doing DE... sticking with the stock bushings may be a good trade-off... but I would definately go with new ones... there is a "book" on these cars, so most good race shops will know a great combination... go with that.

Alignment is another compromise... a full race alignment will make the car a bit darty, and increase tire wear on the street... but is also reasonably cheap to change....

With proper pads and fluids, the brakes are perfectly adequate... upgrades are nice as the budget allows....

Definately get a large radiator-type oil cooler if the car doesn't have one...

Don't touch the engine... the stock engine provides good power, and great longevity.... SSI and a Bursch sould give you good power shot for around $1K or so.... fancier mufflers are nice for cosmetics and sound.... your budget.

Upgrade the wheels... factory 7/9 x 16 wth 225/245 will fit no problem... custom offset wheels might allow 245/275 F/R with some fiddling and fender rolling... but make sure the camber is right....

Add safety equipment.... this is a very effective and relatively cheap track car.... have fun
Old 04-04-2004, 07:43 PM
James Achard
Pro

Originally posted by GrantG
I found this ad on the internet (Early 911S site). I know nothing about the car, but I thought it may be of interest as an illustration, if nothing else...
-Grant

For Sale:
Type 915 trans completely rebuilt at cost of $12,600 includes Quaife ltd slip, Wevo shift kit, short gears, 930 synchros, [/email]
Huh!! How in God's name do you spend 13k on a 915??? It better come with Cindy Crawford to help you shift it. At that price put in a G50/20 and be done with it.

James
Old 04-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by James Achard
It better come with Cindy Crawford to help you shift it.
Now THERE'S a visual...
Old 04-07-2004, 03:08 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

That kind of dough for a trans rebuild does sound pretty outrageous. I had an "all out" 901 built recently for less than half that, including a GT LSD, new mainshaft and gear changes. But that ad was posted by the founder/head-honcho of the R-Gruppe so you've got to assume there is some credibility behind it... That said, I like YOUR car, Grant!

Quick Reply: Need Help Building a Track Car