Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel Pump Cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Cutoff

I didn't like the fact my 69 turned the fuel pump on in the key run position, before startup, or after. Just runs endlessly with the key in the on position. Feels like a problem waiting to happen if someone else drives the car and leaves the pump cranking, or in an accident.

Looked at inertial fuel cutoffs, but that would not solve the problem of sitting with the key in the first position. Decided to add a Revolution Electronics fuel pump controller. Easy to install and I just tapped into the tach wire, then used the controller as a ground control for my fused fuel pump relay. I added a bypass switch to run the relay to ground in the event the cutoff fails. Both the relay and the FPC run off switched power. It can be used as a fuel pump relay directly (has a 7.5 amp internal breaker) instead of controlling a separate relay as I have done.

Works like this:
When you turn the key to on: runs the fuel pump for 3 seconds to prime the carbs, then shuts it off if the engine isn't turning over. If the engine stops, it shuts off the fuel pump.

I think it's $65 well spent on safety.

Did it as part of my relay cleanup so each circuit (low beam, high beam, rally lights, fuel pump) has its own dedicated fuse.

now I gotta deal with pulling the engine and tranny to fix that 3rd gear issue....

Last edited by TheTorch; 03-04-2021 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Cutoff