Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Driving Experience - Leipzig

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:13 AM
GeorgeM
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Porsche Driving Experience - Leipzig

I spent this past weekend in Leipzig checking out the Porsche Driving Experience. It was well worth the time and cost, which basically covered our hotel, meals and bus rides between hotel, facility and restaurants. We were the first group of americans in Germany to attend the event. Larry Miller of Porsche military sales here in Stuttgart coordinated our attendance and convinced Porsche (since the U.S. is 50% of their market) that this is a good thing to do.

We started with an intro, a short brief about the test track, then 2 laps per person in each model they had (refer to photo 0049, our group's cars are lined up on the left). There was a mix of manuals and tips. No real go-fasters were available for testing. We followed our instructor around the track, speeding up as the session went on. He was in a GT3. I thought the Boxster S was the most fun, but certainly not the fastest. They made us keep the PSM on, and I made it come on regularly. It does work quite well. It was also interesting tossing the Cayenne S around the track.

Next, the Cayenne offroad course. This was one of the highlights of the weekend. See the pix and you'll understand. There's nothing like sloshing through the mud, sand and water with someone else's vehicle. We were all duly impressed with its performance and, for me, cost is the only thing keeping me from buying one right now.

The second day consisted of the Cayenne See-Saw contest, where we tried to drive on the platform and get it level in minimal time. The record is about 5 seconds. See photos 35 and 36.

Next, they gave us streetcourse instructions and sent us out for a 40km drive through the German countryside. I chose the Cayenne S with the 6 speed manual. Its truck-like qualities we saw off road disappeared and the next thing I knew I was going 100 mph.

We got a tour of the assembly lines, where they make the Cayenne and Carrera GT.

Next, we got on the track again for 2 laps in each car on the full course, about 3.5km.

"Taxi" rides were next, where we rode with instructors in a GT2 or GT3. I chose the GT3. What a great car. We were in a four-wheel drift through most of the turns... it was a blast. The ceramic brakes are unbelievable. They were smoking when we pulled into the pits.

Just as we were going inside for the final farewell, we heard the distinctive sound of the Carrera GT. Even those who had never heard it knew what it was. We watched it take a few laps of the track before pulling in for a closer view. That thing is quite a ride. They told us they still have about 400 left unclaimed, so sell the house and break out your checkbook.

Overall, a great weekend. You can get to the photos at

Leipzig Photos
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice photos. Sounds like a great time. Thanks for posting.

Noel

Quick Reply: Porsche Driving Experience - Leipzig