Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do I prep for a total repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:57 AM
G D Squash
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I prep for a total repaint?

My 78SC Targa 89K, which I bought new off the showroom floor, is in desperate need of a repaint.... I had it repainted about 7 yr.ago (Its Black on Black), thought I had a good shop. Paid big money, took them almost 2 months, glass out, trim off , Glasurit etc. Well after a year spots started floating to the surface. Bubbles with-in another, and huge blisters there after. I think the guy used the wrong primer or contaminated the sub-coat some how? Shop sold to another owner, recourse a joke. So I've been bit once, don't have the temperament or dinero to do it again. Thought, thru the forum and research, I'd be able to prep the car myself, and then take it to a moderately priced painter to get painted.
Here's what I've looked into. Soda blasting the car (quoted $500). and a $1200 MAACO paint job. Or some other independent shops which looks like between $2000-$3000.
Soda blasting- how do you get that fine power from getting everywhere in your car? And how do you get it out. I'm worried what it might do to the new paint. What prep work do I do before I get it blasted? They say it want harm the rubber?
If I have the windows pulled, do I do this before I blast. MAACO won't touch the windows, so do I get them pulled in my garage, and trailer car to the painter. What do I need to tape-up. And finally, what if I find some... rust! What"s the chronological order. Blast, fix rust ( how much time before I have to prime), paint. Who does the rust repair, the painter, or do I take it to another shop for that.
Sorry for the long post, but I see this as a logistical problem. Any suggestions from the forum is appreciated. And any suggested painters/shops in the DFW area are welcomed.
Thanks
Doug

Quick Reply: What do I prep for a total repaint?