Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Auto Door lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 11:04 PM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Door lock

I have a '88 and while the doors unlock automatically from the outside driver's door they will not lock. Any ideas?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

they dont electronically lock from the central locking system ? or you cant physically lock your drivers door ?
Old 11-24-2020, 07:37 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

Ok, my wiring harness, complete with central lock is on my pool table, now mine is an '89 so there are slight differences. I would suspect that you have a faulty microswitch in the drivers door handle/lock assembly unless the problem is one with the physical lock.

I am presuming that the mechanical action with the switch is fine (the door cylinder rotates smoothly).

Second, does the passenger door unlock cause both doors to unlock? In theory unlocking either the passenger door with a key or drivers door will unlock the other.

Failing that, there is a little microswitch like this:

Big honking plug that goes into the door harness. The microswitch toggles up and down (the greenish part on the pic) with movement of the cylinder which causes the unlock/lock to occur. The switch could be damaged, it is not that hard to get to once you take the door cards off (which means the handle, door pocket etc etc). and removing the door handle.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it is also possible that one of the wires going from that switch to the chassis has been damaged. From my records there are three wires going to the microswitch - Brown/Blue, Brown/Green, Brown (ground) and I don't know whether it is the Br/Bl or Br/Grn that is unlock, but it is one of those two that could be perished right at the point where the action of the door opening and closing may have fatigued the wire. You can see the loom (black plastic tubing) from the door to the chassis....check if any of them look cracked or there are wires hanging out. That could also be your problem.

I doubt if it is the central lock relay...and I am presuming that the central lock/unlock button in the centre console also works properly?

Hope this helps

Cloggie
The following users liked this post:
Todd Nugent (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 08:29 AM
Antny930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd Nugent
I have a '88 and while the doors unlock automatically from the outside driver's door they will not lock. Any ideas?
The mechanism inside the door uses a small plastic rod-end to connect the mechanism mechanicals. Over time, these plastic ends tend to break. I bet yours broke. It’s an easy and cheap fix. Remove the inside door panel, and have a look. I bet your plastic ends need replacement.
The following users liked this post:
Todd Nugent (11-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

...curious as to what you find....

Cloggie
Old 11-26-2020, 03:00 AM
Todd Nugent
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloggie
...curious as to what you find....

Cloggie
To be more clear from the drivers door I can unlock but not lock. Based on other cars I am guessing the actuator rod might be broken? The lock mechanism seems to work just fine. I'll try and crack it open and see what I find.
Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Auto Door lock