Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replace Oil Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:03 AM
Patrick84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace Oil Lines

I recently purchased a 1974 Targa that has a 993 body kit, and the oil lines are in very bad shape and need to be replaced. I am fairly new to this so I assume the oil cooler was moved to the front of the car. Can someone tell me where I can find replacement lines?
Also, what the unused lines that are sitting to the right of the engine (see pic #2)?

TIA!

Last edited by Patrick84; 10-23-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

jesus what a mess ... anyway lets get started ... looks to be a good discussion

74 never had a front mounted cooler as you know . ( it was added not moved ) for the SC. the oil lines are supposed to run under the car along the passenger side and are brass pipes. they then bend up the cooler just in front of the wheel well by the horns. I have no idea what that mess is ...

did your car have AC ? could those first lines in the first pic be to the AC condenser that ran along the front bumper underneath as they look more like deteriorated barrier hoses than oil lines ?

pic two also looks like barrier hoses, but after market clips so something is off right away . , If they are AC lines they likely used to go to the AC compressor that was mounted right where your hoses are, on a bracket.. if you take a pic of the engine bay as a whole we may be able to help you more.. but i think none of those are oil lines...

Last edited by theiceman; 10-23-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Patrick84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I believe the rubber pipes were for the AC. There was no compressor in there and I removed the bracket for easier access. One of the brass lines in the trunk is leaking oil (see red arrow in first pic of previous post). Here are some more pics. Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i see what they did what a mess

looks like stock oil lines under the body, then they mated to some after market lines under the wheel well, , then went inside the front luggage compartment. then back out again to a front cooler.. looks like it has all been fabbed up so you can fix it however you like,

unless a 993 really does run this way but i dont think so.

Quick Reply: Replace Oil Lines