Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2.7 CIS Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 12:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i bit of syl glide or other synthetic lubricant on the oring and it should pop back in . its likely the oring fighting you if you are trying just the injector put a little on the injector.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:13 PM
mofo_911
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was just the o-ring, I finally got it in, but it put up a fight. Then I drowned the car trying to start it. So after a long wait it finally started.... AND IT STILL MISFIRES....
Old 10-31-2020, 05:37 PM
mofo_911
Intermediate

So I tried the switch of the injectors again and the problem moved with the injector. Then I pulled out the problematic injector, and the one next to it. Stuffed the holes to retain something close to the correct pressure. Put both the injectors in the syringes I made earlier (I pulled the plungers out of some 20ml syringes and glues the tips shut). and started the engine up and let it idle for a little while (not as roughly as one would expect). The "good" injector yielded 5 ml, and the bad one yielded 2.5ml.

So now I'm guessing the problem is with the fuel distributor (I have the nonadjustable variety)... I am thinking about buying a rebuild kit, but I have questions:
Does this sound to you like a problem with the distributor?
Is there something else I should do to rule out something easier/cheaper first?
Can the distributor head be removed without taking out the whole intake assembly (with the runners and everything)?

I am going to park the car for winter anyway, so I can take my time to rebuild the distributor.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:28 AM
stlrj
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mofo_911
My engine has started misfiring.
I am hoping it is a bad plug, but I am fearing it is valve related. Any advice?
Thanks,
Morten
Has your car been through the carwash recently?
Old 11-02-2020, 01:17 PM
mofo_911
Intermediate

No, I never put it through car wash, but I did get caught out by a little bit of rain...
Old 11-02-2020, 02:01 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

may be fuel distributor yes
Old 11-03-2020, 02:37 AM
stlrj
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I never put it through car wash, but I did get caught out by a little bit of rain...
Unfortunately, Beru ignition cables are notorious for shorting out with the slightest hint of moisture.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

So I tried the switch of the injectors again and the problem moved with the injector. Then I pulled out the problematic injector, and the one next to it. Stuffed the holes to retain something close to the correct pressure. Put both the injectors in the syringes I made earlier (I pulled the plungers out of some 20ml syringes and glues the tips shut). and started the engine up and let it idle for a little while (not as roughly as one would expect). The "good" injector yielded 5 ml, and the bad one yielded 2.5ml.

So now I'm guessing the problem is with the fuel distributor (I have the nonadjustable variety)... I am thinking about buying a rebuild kit, but I have questions:
Does this sound to you like a problem with the distributor?
Is there something else I should do to rule out something easier/cheaper first?
Can the distributor head be removed without taking out the whole intake assembly (with the runners and everything)?

I am going to park the car for winter anyway, so I can take my time to rebuild the distributor.
yeah i thought it might be , that why i wanted you to swap over lines at distributor ends to see if problem follows distributor or fuel injector.

It can be rebuilt for sure but i have heard getting parts can be difficult. Plus it has to be flow tested.

I think there is a guy on Pelican that does it ..

Old 11-04-2020, 08:25 AM
mofo_911
Intermediate

So I have decided to order a rebuild kit for the cis fuel distributor, it seems it should be possible to remove it from the car without dropping the engine. I have seen several videos about rebuilding the distributor, and it does not look too bad. Getting the fuel flows dialed in afterwards will be the big challenge (if they are not ok).
Old 11-04-2020, 09:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

So I have decided to order a rebuild kit for the cis fuel distributor, it seems it should be possible to remove it from the car without dropping the engine. I have seen several videos about rebuilding the distributor, and it does not look too bad. Getting the fuel flows dialed in afterwards will be the big challenge (if they are not ok).
any links on where you got your rebuild kit from ?

yeah i have heard the flow regulation and balancing can be an issues, i will stay tuned.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:17 AM
mofo_911
Intermediate

I haven't ordered it yet, but I think it will be this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Dist...n/184001292807
He has good reviews and the kit seems to good quality from the description. It also seems to contain all the relevant shims etc.

My guess is that one of the metering slits is gunked up with something...

Last edited by mofo_911; 11-04-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:04 PM
mofo_911
Intermediate

This is the best video I found about the process is this one:
. At least the fuel distributor model is very close to mine. It seems like K-Jettronic was used in a lot of different cars (the one in the video is a DeLorean)
Old 11-05-2020, 07:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

great thanks. ill follow your progress.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:55 AM
mofo_911
Intermediate

Quick update: I ordered the rebuild kit, it should arrive some time this week. I couldn't wait, so I removed the fuel distributor and took it apart and cleaned it. It didn't look bad inside - apart from one disintegrated O-ring. My distributor is almost identical to the one in the video. I did find one thing I need to look into. In the 6 holes for the lines going to the injectors, there are tiny filters. Some of these seem to have burst, which could account for some of the flow difference I am seeing. I am looking to see if I can find these online, but no luck yet. I did stumble on this: https://k-jet.biz/tests/ and I wish I had done at least the first test before I started this endeavor.
That being said, the whole process up until this point has gone pretty smooth, and I don't foresee any major problems going forward. I will update again when the kit is installed.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:48 AM
mofo_911
Intermediate

Rebuild done, I also decided to paint the distributor since I had it out.
The rebuild process was very close to the one in the video. I elected to add some sealant (which came in the kit) between the 2 halves before putting it back together to avoid any leaking.
After I put it all back in the car, I tested the flows on the individual injectors and 5 of them were right on the money.... sadly the one that has been causing all my problems still does not deliver enough fuel compared to the others.
Sooo... now I'm debating whether to take it apart again measure the heights of the "spring stacks" again to see if I missed something before, and maybe sand down the thickness of one of the washers in the problematic fuel port, to make it deliver more fuel.... or if I should find a reputable place to send it to, and have them rebuild and flow test it.
Also I am going to order a proper CIS fuel pressure tester so I can measure the working pressure and control pressure correctly....

Last edited by mofo_911; 11-16-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.7 CIS Misfire