Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Seat moves real rough

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 911 Seat moves real rough

On my 76 911, I recently took the front seats out to get reupholstered.
I took the rails off so that I wouldn't have to worry that the parts would get misplaced
Well, when I took the seats out I bagged all the parts. The driver's seat had 6 extra washers that I don't remember where they went. The passenger seat did not have extra washers. Maybe the washers were to raise the seats a bit but the washers don't go under the bolts or in the track because they are too large to fit.
I notice both seats move on bearings. The passenger seat moves relatively smoothly, but the driver's seat moves incredibly rough and I can feel each bearing under my butt.
So I don't know if the washers had anything to do with how smoothly the seat moves on the rails.

Last edited by bcgreen; 09-17-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:47 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

If they are OEM rails, there are no bearings- There are tabs that catch the slide position, perhaps that you may be what you are feeling. Should require some white grease to keep the fiction of the sliders to a minimum.

Assuming you have stock seats and stock sliders: One thing to check is the bolts used to mount the seat rails to the bottom of the seats. Porsche used a short head Allen bolt. Make sure thats what you used to mount the rails to the seats. If the head is to big, it could be dragging on the slider as you attempt to move the seats. As for washers. One washer each for the four bolts that connect the rails to bottom of seats and one washer each for the bolts that hold the rail to the body..As stated, perhaps previous owner had washers installed to raise the seat.

Last edited by Speedster911; 09-17-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:03 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedster911
If they are OEM rails, there are no bearings- There are tabs that catch the slide position, perhaps that you may be what you are feeling. Should require some white grease to keep the fiction of the sliders to a minimum.

Assuming you have stock seats and stock sliders: One thing to check is the bolts used to mount the seat rails to the bottom of the seats. Porsche used a short head Allen bolt. Make sure thats what you used to mount the rails to the seats. If the head is to big, it could be dragging on the slider as you attempt to move the seats. As for washers. One washer each for the four bolts that connect the rails to bottom of seats and one washer each for the bolts that hold the rail to the body..As stated, perhaps previous owner had washers installed to raise the seat.
I understand about the tabs that are there for seat adjustment for and aft. As you hold the rod for seat adjustment you can move the seat forwards and backwards and you do this you can feel each individual bearing. The passenger seat is so much smoother but it also rides on the small bearings. I don't know how many. I guess I could see if I can count them.

Quick Reply: 911 Seat moves real rough