Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

newbie 911 paint question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 07:47 PM
Thomas Breeze
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie 911 paint question

When I see classic 911s with "Porsche" and stipe along side of the car, was that a factory option or is it always custom? Also, is there a book the community might recommend I check to learn more about these beautiful cars?
Old 08-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome Thomas! The factory started adding a Carrera stripe for the 2.7L RS cars in 1972-1973 I believe. They continued to use the stripe 1975-1977, mostly on the 3.0L Carrera (Euro only).

As far as I know, there were no factory Carrera or Porsche striping options after that, although maybe you could get something through Special Wishes.

There are way more cars with decals out there than came from the factory. Several different aftermarket sources for Carrera and Porsche stripes.

As for a book, are you looking for history or buying guides? If the latter, some good choices are The Used 911 Story by Pete Zimmerman, and the Porsche Red Book for year-by-year specifications.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
Thomas Breeze (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 08:37 PM
Thomas Breeze
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark for the history lesson and book recommendations. . I’ve owned a Karmann Ghia since the late 90s but choosing a Porsche to buy just seems complicated. I’d love a Targa or any mid 80s to mid 90s targa, cabriolet or coupe. Aside from my lack of knowledge, I live in the city with no garage or carport. I’m at a point where I can afford a classic 911 but storage is an issue too. Again, thanks for the thoughtful response.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:17 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I agree, that would be tough if you had to keep it on the street, especially a Targa or cab that often leak. But people do.

It's not that complicated though. I would stick around here and also the Pelican Parts 911 forum. Lots to learn, especially from the frequent posts when someone asks for opinions on a car for sale. I don't think there are that many air-cooled for sale here on Rennlist, but there are always quite a few for sale at Pelican.

Most of these cars have weak points, but as long as you know what they are and if they have been addressed, you should be fine. Pre-purchase inspections are critical for hidden rust and shoddy repair work. Even the newest 911 is now over 30 years old - stuff happens.

So check out the community, you may not live in the city forever.

Mark

Quick Reply: newbie 911 paint question