Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1988 Targa 911 need advice and help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 04:28 AM
jackal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Targa 911 need advice and help

So, time has passed with the kitchen remodel, the kids growing up, work and never ending projects. I had a nightmare and came down to the garage to check on my old trusty friend, my 1988 911 Targa in Guards Red. When I realized it's been about 5 years and two months since I last drove the car. I drove the car as my daily driver for a good part of 15 years, then decided to ease up on the car since I would relegate it as a weekend driver. Doing a perimeter check, the tires are shot. I have replacement 16" Fuchs 6's and 7's if I recall correctly. Sure, I replaced the battery before I stored it but I am sure it's time for a replacement. I also recall needing to change to clutch, it would be due in a few months before I stored it.

What's the proper order of sequence here? I am looking at tires, battery, tune up, plug, oil and oil filter. Brake pads and brake fluid replacement. As far as tires I'm looking at these from tire rack.

1. Size: 245/45R16 94W about 220.00 per tire. I'll have to check the front I don't recall the tire size. Any opinion on this tire. It will strictly be for weekend use.
Yokohama A052 245/45/R16

2. I am going to try and do as much of the work myself. But will more than likely need to tow it to a mechanic in the South Bay (Redondo/Hermosa) area for the clutch repair.

3. Any particular battery recommendations?
4. Clutch I imagine I'll have a go at it and will order online. I guess with the G50 I will need the entire kit.

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:45 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm going to suggest that you don't buy the Yokohama. That's an autocross specific tire that's built to run fast from stone cold, but they wear very rapidly and are rumored to heat-cycle out of their goodness during street driving. I just put a set of Hankook RS4 on my 87 chassis hot rod car, and they are fantastic. They'll be much better if you were ever to get caught in the rain, and they will last longer, and they cost about half as much. They only come in 205 and 225 x 16, but they run really wide, and will fit perfectly on 6" and 7" or 7" and 8" wheels!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Z232&tab=Sizes

There was a clutch fork update at some point, so if your car has the old version, you will probably have to do the complete upgrade, because the cross shaft and bearings are no longer available for the old style (I believe). You could luck out and your cross shaft could be in perfect shape, but I've never been that lucky.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:36 PM
jackal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I'm going to suggest that you don't buy the Yokohama. That's an autocross specific tire that's built to run fast from stone cold, but they wear very rapidly and are rumored to heat-cycle out of their goodness during street driving. I just put a set of Hankook RS4 on my 87 chassis hot rod car, and they are fantastic. They'll be much better if you were ever to get caught in the rain, and they will last longer, and they cost about half as much. They only come in 205 and 225 x 16, but they run really wide, and will fit perfectly on 6" and 7" or 7" and 8" wheels!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Z232&tab=Sizes

There was a clutch fork update at some point, so if your car has the old version, you will probably have to do the complete upgrade, because the cross shaft and bearings are no longer available for the old style (I believe). You could luck out and your cross shaft could be in perfect shape, but I've never been that lucky.
Thank you for the advice. I just looked at those
tires and have those on the order list.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:56 AM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a ‘83 911SC with 46K miles. There was a bunch of deferred maintenance that needed to be addressed. I took the car to Robert at Dutch Treat www.dutchtreat.org. He’s just west of the 405 freeway in Lawndale. He was recommended by several long term Porsche owners. I had him install upgraded cam tensioners, new shocks, rebuild the clutch, rebuild the brake calipers, install a pop off valve, and a few other things. I had a great experience and his prices were extremely reasonable.

Quick Reply: 1988 Targa 911 need advice and help