Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just how bad is PASM

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 07:24 PM
stef1808
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how bad is PASM

When I kept my 997 GT2 as a pure track car everyone’s recommendation was to ditch the PASM - I went for Nitrons R3 which was great.
I now drive the car much more on the road and do local track days but for a weekend drive the Nitrons are just too tough. Would I notice a big downgrade going back to the PASMs? I also presume I would need to go back to factory geo settings?
Old 08-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by stef1808
When I kept my 997 GT2 as a pure track car everyone’s recommendation was to ditch the PASM - I went for Nitrons R3 which was great.
I now drive the car much more on the road and do local track days but for a weekend drive the Nitrons are just too tough. Would I notice a big downgrade going back to the PASMs? I also presume I would need to go back to factory geo settings?
Please ask in the watercooled 997 forum, not here in the aircooled 911 forum.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by stef1808
I test and tune OEM shocks for a tier one supplier... The PASM stuff seems "fine" to me. I don't really like many active dampers, but the ones on my 997 GT3 are some of the best I've sampled. The DSC Sport controller is available for the GT3, I assume there's one for the GT2. I haven't purchased one yet, but it seems that people like them. I've autocrossed a 997 GT3 and a 981 Cayman S, both with PASM. They seem to actually drive better on the clock with the shocks "off" at least on 200 treadwear tires. The GT3 seems to work fine with the shocks "on" with hoosier race tires.

If you have higher spring rates than stock on your car, you may be stuck with the aftermarket dampers, or trying to make a DSC controller work.

I've seen some aftermarket Bilstein "damptronic" shocks for 997, again, not sure about GT2 fitment.

I think most of this stuff is in the noise for the majority of drivers anyway. My aircooled 911 is on cheap Koni shocks, and is still in contention for fastest time of the day at my local autocrosses.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:25 PM
stef1808
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks have posted in the correct forum now

Quick Reply: Just how bad is PASM