Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clunking 1st & 3 rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002 | 10:26 AM
lostinatl
Instructor

Post Clunking 1st & 3 rd gear

When I shift out of first and third about every 20th shift, I get a loud bang and/or clunk from the shifter...I was told it was when the weight is on the car and you are on the power, that is the cause, can anyone explain any better? Any fix, besides replacing trans?
Old 09-09-2002 | 10:48 AM
Von Kiser
Instructor

What year is your 911? If you have an earlier model with the rubber centered clutch you may want to check that...but what I really think is...

I think what you might have is a timing issue with your driving since it is only happening every 20th or 30th time. With that I mean this sounds like exactly what my wife does when she has driven the car(she has only driven it twice). Anyway it sounds like you might be letting off the throttle a second too soon before pulling the car out of gear and this causes the car to surge just as you begin your disengaging of the shifter which makes the gear mesh tighten up and thus harder on the transmission when releasing the gear(the clunk). The 915 transmission likes to be gentley taken care of, and your timing of your throttle and clutch engaging/disengaging is critical to its smooth operation. You may need to stay on the throttle for a hair longer to prevent this.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar,
--Brian
Old 09-09-2002 | 10:56 AM
lostinatl
Instructor

It is an '84 911.

Thanks I will try it...I wish I could blame it on my wife...she has not driven it yet....I have only had it two months +/-.

Vince
Old 09-09-2002 | 11:50 AM
Von Kiser
Instructor

Yeah if you have only had it 2 months you may still be getting use to the shifting. 911's don't shift as easy as a Japenese car...thats really the only disappointment the 911 has made to me. I have driven a 1986 911 with only 30,000 miles that had a perfect transmission in it that shifted wonderfully and as smooth as any car...so I know a properly adjusted, new bushing, swepco filled 915 tranny is capable of good to great feeling...but they never like to be forced or slammed into gear no matter what condition.

I think the 84 is the last year for the rubber centered clutch...but they usually clunk if you let off the gas but leave the car in gear and let the engine slow you down(not touching the brakes). For example, Pull out in the car and shift it to second gear and take it up to 30 mph, now accelerate just a second and left off abruptly without touching the brakes....if it clunks now, its probably the rubber turtle neck clutch disc coming apart . If no clunking...GREAT!

--Brian
Old 09-09-2002 | 09:33 PM
Jimmykash
Intermediate

Just something that i noticed about first and third with my brother's 73T is that we thought the trans was grinding some but after shifting it all day we found out that it was us who was doing the grinding

Apparently the bushings in the shifter mechanism are worn out pretty good and it is also missing the centering spring so were weren't actually shifting it into gear correctly and we were getting the grinding.

Maybe you need to replace the bushings in the shifter?

Look down at my post for an idea
Old 09-09-2002 | 10:35 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

Thanks, that is my next project after the turbo tie rods, ball joints, than bushings and/or bearings.

Lots to do.

Vince '84 911

Quick Reply: Clunking 1st & 3 rd gear