Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Higher Altitude-Slightly Hot & First Ever Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 06:04 PM
georgie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Higher Altitude-Slightly Hot & First Ever Oil Leak?

Hello,

'87 Carrera, 65k miles. Took it out today for about 100 miles. About 60 degrees outside. Had it up at about 3500ft. altitude and I live about 500 ft. above sea level. I noticed the car was running slightly warmer than normal. I would venture to say in this outside temperature range the car generally runs with the temp. needle between the warm up bar and the first "tick" on the oil temperature gauge. Today I was running, while at this higher altitude, consistently at the first tick. The seven/eight o'clock tick on the gauge. Then when I was back down at typical elevation (lower) the engine decreased in temperature.

Any reason that the car would run somewhat more hot? Also, disappointed when I got back......first time ever it's put oil on the floor....just two drops, but first time it's ever dropped a drop.

Correlations? Ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

This is something we Rocky Mtn folks know about well. 3,500ft? My car has never been that low since I've owned it

The lower air density at higher altitudes provides less cooling ability and will also make your car run leaner (which usually means hotter).

FYI - I live right near the highest paved road in the continental US and have driven my Porsches up it several times (over 14,000 feet!!!) - Mt. Evans, CO
Old 03-14-2004, 08:34 PM
georgie
Instructor

Grant,

Mt. Evans is fabulous. I've been up the road there on a BMW R1100GS motorcycle a few years back. One of the best experiences of my life. Literally, like being on top of the world.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Georgie - Glad you've been able to enjoy Mt. Evans! BTW, I screwed up when I said hi-alt will make your engine leaner - it would obviously run richer with less air...

However, I know that the thin air has less of a cooling effect - quite noticeable with an aircooled motor. Bigger oil coolers are common here...
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM
georgie
Instructor

Would the altitude, thinner air mass, or the resultant heat itself create an oil leak potentially?
Old 03-14-2004, 11:24 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the case might expand or move more, and for sure the oil will be thinner and more inclinded to get out of places it might not otherwise.

small leak? Small problem.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:32 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by georgie
Would the altitude, thinner air mass, or the resultant heat itself create an oil leak potentially?
More than likely it was that "spirited" run up the mountains that had more to do with the oil leak than the altitude

Can you see where the oil is coming from.

Also, I think that all 3.2 Carreras have a altitude sensor (round hockey puck size device under the drivers seat). It is supposed to lean out the fuel delivery over 1000 feet to compensate for the thinner air. I think I read somewhere that it was only connected for California cars. There is a plug on the wire right near the sensor. I don't know if it will do anything for the temperature issue but you might try checking it out (connect or disconnect as required). I think, I think....I think I like Grant's explination better.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Higher Altitude-Slightly Hot & First Ever Oil Leak?