Lightweight Flywheel for 3.2 DME Motronic

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Lightweight Flywheel for 3.2 DME Motronic

Folks,

I have a friend that's looking for a lightweight flywheel to replace the standard steel one on a 3.2 DME Motronic controlled engine.

The question concerns the notched segments that provide input to the DME's Speed Sensor (on the outer perimiter of the flywheel towards the clutch) and the provision for the Reference Sensor set screw (aside the Speed Sensor's notches towards the engine itself).

Are there any lightweight flywheels that come with these provisions? On the original flywheel they appear to be a built-in part of the flywheel and not something that could be removed and attached to an aftermarket flywheel.

Any help would be appreciated!

Barry
Old 03-12-2004, 05:23 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Barry:

AFAIK, there is no streetable lightweight flywheels for the 3.2 Carrera motors.

There are lightweight ones for the non-Motronic 3.0s and earlier engines, and there are LWFs for the 3.6, but nothing for the Carrera using Motronic.

The only LWF's for the 3.2 with a DME ring use a 2 or 3 plate Tilton 5.5" racing clutch and are not streetable at all. Further, these setups are over $ 3K.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 03-13-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:15 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 84 3.2 Carrera and wanted to put a lightened fly wheel in as well. You don't say what year you are searching for, but this is what I learned.
The 84-86 3.2 DME takes a unique fly wheel and as Steve states, they are not available. As I recall the stock one weighs about 12-13 lbs. The steel pressure
plate weighs about 18 lbs as I recall. An aluminum version of them isn't *currently* available either, though I understand there was one at some point but they didn't last due to wear. Apparently, SACHS makes all of the clutch assemblies and others like Centerforce modify the pressure plate.

So,if you want to save on spinning weight the most obvious place is the pressure plate, but they are not available.

I contacted Patrick Motorsports, Phoeniz, AZ (phone 602-244-0911) and they machined away about 5-6 lbs of an OEM flywheel (approx $600) and I also purchased a Centerforce clutch from them. So far I am pleased with the results, but I have only a hundred or so miles since the work was done because of winter. The usual no interest disclaimers, just a satisfied customer.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:16 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 87', 3.2 Motronic G50. I recently replaced the stock clutch with a Centerforce. As rbcsaver says, the pressure plate is the best and easiest way to achieve your goal. But, there is a lightweight flywheel available for this application. It's a Porsche part. Be prepared to spend near $2000.00. Contact Windward Performance Parts. Ask them to dig, they will find it. By the way they had the best $ on Centerforce clutches when I was in the market.
LOL

Quick Reply: Lightweight Flywheel for 3.2 DME Motronic