Oil coming out of Breather tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:11 AM
weyland
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out of Breather tube

Hi,

I have a really strange problem that I hope someone here can provide some insight. I have a 911 (registered as a 69 but with a 78 body and engine).

One morning when the car was being backed out of the garage (at my mechanics), one of the mechanics noticed that there was alot of oil leaking out of the engine compartment. The car was running fine everyday of the week before and from the time I brought it in. They stopped the engine and just pushed it the rest of the way out. Upon inspection, they didnt notice any broken lines or other obvious leak, My mechanic then noticed oil dripping out of the air filter housing (I have dual Webers). From that he deduced that the oil was coming out of the breather tubes.

He pulled the oil fill tube cap, cranked the engine and oil came squiting out of the fill tube. What can cause this? Bad of collapsed oil filter? too much oil in the car? What can cause enough pressure to shoot oil out that way? We are banging our heads against the wall now. We are thinking of pulling the engine but before we do this, I thought I'd try and find some other things to look at before we do something this drastic

Also as a side note here, he performed a compression check on all cylinders and one of them had almost no compression (middle one on the left side). Like I said, this just happened one day with no warning.

Any insight would help.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2004, 04:21 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Weyland:

The very first thing I would consider is that you have too much oil in the tank.

Other big factors is that 0 compression in the #3 cylinder. If the piston is broken or rings are damaged, that will pressurize the crankcase and trigger what you are observing.

Time for a leakdown test!

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of Breather tube