Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

COVID restoration project

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default COVID restoration project

Hey all, first time posting in the G-body forum! I'm starting a restoration on a '78 Euro SC that hasn't ran since 2005. The car was left to me by my father. Since many of us have a little more time at home these days, the project begins..

Question: Does anyone have experience with internal gas tank coatings and if so do the pictures below indicate this had been done to my car? When researching on the forum it seems OE gas tanks should have a raw / plated look. The black popcorn ceiling looking material is hard to the touch. At this point im convinced the vinegar has cleaned as well as it can. Moving forward with the reinstall

my cheap amazon special endoscope pics

The Project:
First step is clearing the fuel system of gunk, and a new tank filter plug ( that thing was a mess)
This weekend. I plan to run two gallons of gas through the system with a disconnected return line (assuming the fuel pump works)
Then cleaning years of gunk off the engine and oil tank ( ID leaks).
Then change oil
Then remove plugs and MM oil the rings as best i can, crank engine and get the oil gauge to jump.
Then new plugs, and hope it fires. Hoping to not **** off my neighbors with all the smoke : )

The Car:
Details are hazy but it was purchased by my father in '98. The story ( allegedly ) was it was a Euro Targa brought back from overseas by an Air force captain. The targa structure was converted to cabriolet sometime in the early '80s, as was popular. In the later 80's a 3.2 conversion was done ( motronic and all)
It was sold to my father by a Porsche enthusiast in Delaware. The SC has turbo sized fuchs and a lowered ride height. I remember us driving past his house on the way to the beach, the car was sitting in the driveway with the top down, for sale. the seller had a few other 911's including a green non-intercooled 930.. . After driving an '88 3.2 a few years ago, im certain my car has to have a lightened flywheel. Again its been a long time, but i recall it ran like a raped ape and i wouldn't be surprised if it was quicker than my 993. Ill be curious to see what it weighs. If it wasn't for the nostalgia / sentimental factor im not sure i would be hanging onto the car, but i love to see it run again. Im already looking at a donor coupe roof from a porsche bone yard... i know....

more to come

back to SC

junk in the frunk

Old 05-14-2020, 02:31 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

brovo for starting the project!

Old 06-04-2020, 02:40 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 436 Posts

Cheers to you! I am sure it will come together well!!

Quick Reply: COVID restoration project