Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Identify Weird Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020 | 11:57 AM
Freitog
AutoX

Default Identify Weird Engine Noise

Hi Rennlist Friends,

First post here. I own a 1982 '911 SC with 80,000 original miles. After starting up the car the other day, it was making a very bizarre sound that I believe is coming from the engine.

Can someone please help me identify what is going on? Due to the virus, I am unable to go to the mechanic.

Thank you,

Freitog
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3856 3.mov (4.45 MB, 118 views)
Old 04-16-2020 | 04:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

that is not a good noise. I couldn't run the car anymore.

That said, the pace of the noise sounds too fast to be valve train at idle. are you able to remove the belt from your AC unit and spin it by hand? Did you check fan and ensure it spins freely? I'd start by removing both belts. Spin alternator, spin compressor by hand.
Old 04-21-2020 | 06:42 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default What spyerx said!

What spyerx said

Originally Posted by Spyerx
that is not a good noise. I couldn't run the car anymore.

That said, the pace of the noise sounds too fast to be valve train at idle. are you able to remove the belt from your AC unit and spin it by hand? Did you check fan and ensure it spins freely? I'd start by removing both belts. Spin alternator, spin compressor by hand.
Old 04-23-2020 | 12:47 AM
Freitog
AutoX

Hey Spyerx - thanks for the note. Possible to elaborate on the severity of the possible issues you've outlined? Depending on your thoughts on the issue, I'm curious if I can take it to a non specialty shop. Any help would be appreciated.

Dying to get the car up and running while working from home
Old 04-23-2020 | 10:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

almost sounds like an exhaust leak... i would not take this to joes garage... unless they specialize in air cooled cars. Better to be cautious on this one.
Old 04-23-2020 | 05:02 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

It really is not very hard at all to remove the belts, and that's where I'd start. The owner's manual will probably have instructions, and the tool kit should have the special tools you need.

I'd first remove just the AC belt and see if that made it go away. On my '85 that is a simple matter of loosening the mounting bolts and then loosening the tension adjuster bolt. If you want, you can measure that adjuster bolt's location (length) and just reset to that location when reinstalling, if doing a proper adjustment would not be easy.

Then remove the fan belt. Follow the directions in the owner's manual. Use the special tools in the tool kit. Keep track of how many shims are on either side, and put it back like it was before, unless you want to do an adjustment.

As mentioned above, once the belts are off, see if the pulleys move freely as they should.

If you want to do testing before touching it mechanically, you could see if slightly revving the engine makes the sound louder. Am assuming the sound would be synched with engine revs, but confirm that.

Also, turn AC on / off to see if there is any effect.

Agreed on not taking it to Joe's garage.

Quick Reply: Identify Weird Engine Noise