911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project 80 911 sc quick Q? On engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020 | 04:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

oh i assumed you had the omega spring off already. i dont think much holds that on . i just dont remember how i did it . i left it dangling on the transmission i think . i dont use penetrant on exhaust bolts as i want them to snap , just my preference . dont waste your time with the air hammer. just crack off those crossover bolts and you are on your way.
Old 03-25-2020 | 04:47 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theiceman
oh i assumed you had the omega spring off already. i dont think much holds that on . i just dont remember how i did it . i left it dangling on the transmission i think . i dont use penetrant on exhaust bolts as i want them to snap , just my preference . dont waste your time with the air hammer. just crack off those crossover bolts and you are on your way.

Smart idea.. I’ll just snap those bolts for sure,
thanks again.
Old 03-30-2020 | 01:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

what happened ??? is it off yet ???
Old 03-30-2020 | 02:26 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

what happened ??? is it off yet ???
yes! I got it off just yesterday.. it took me 3 days wrestling with the cross pipe.
Used- heat, dremell, chisel, hammer, pry bar, penetrating oil and lots of sweat and swearing..lol! Then the pipes flanges came off though it’s still under the engine, I had to move it around to clear the omega spring while pulling the trans.
thanks again.
now I’m going to tackle the head studs. First timer.
I ordered Porsche steel studs to replace the lower delivars. Noticed a lot of little things that needs replacing like the washers for the clutch fork and shaft but I’m focusing on the engine first.

Finally! Time for brew🍺
Old 03-30-2020 | 03:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i can offer a couple of tips.

I got a torch with a pencil tip from lowes, it uses oxygen and gas . Very cool setup but uses a lot of oxygen.

I took the heads off with exchanges still on it and worked comfortably on my work bench .
I used a regular wrench 13mm i think and a allen key, no extensions or anything fancy . heated it with the torch, if it didn't come off i heated it more. the short wrench and allen key was by design to stop my over torquing and snapping the stud.
Obviously you need a good set of welders gloves. i had to get them cherry red.
Got all 12 out without a single break .

Name:  iTZiVfa.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  1.50 MB
Old 03-30-2020 | 03:34 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

i can offer a couple of tips.

I got a torch with a pencil tip from lowes, it uses oxygen and gas . Very cool setup but uses a lot of oxygen.

I took the heads off with exchanges still on it and worked comfortably on my work bench .
I used a regular wrench 13mm i think and a allen key, no extensions or anything fancy . heated it with the torch, if it didn't come off i heated it more. the short wrench and allen key was by design to stop my over torquing and snapping the stud.
Obviously you need a good set of welders gloves. i had to get them cherry red.
Got all 12 out without a single break .

Thanks Iceman.! I bought just the propane torch but I did see the O2 torch, will get that one too.
You’re saying I can remove the heads with the heat exchanger intact? And I’m going to open up my timing chain cover to take a look on what type of cam sprocket I have..just being sure on what tools I need. Crawfoot with P202 or just P9191 that I’m hoping.
Old 03-30-2020 | 05:02 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

I guess I would need the crawfoot and P202 tools.
Old 03-30-2020 | 05:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yes you sure can ....
Name:  ttZRLQy.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  550.6 KB

in this pic you can see i was tackling same project as you ....

and yes you need that tool . I used one my buddy built and it worked very well.

Old 03-30-2020 | 05:58 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

Awesome! Your rebuilding? Looks exactly what I’m doing for sure.. we have the same broom and 2x4’s
👍🏼
I’ve been reading a lot on these engines.. have a few books and this forum helps a lot.
what do you use to clean the block and covers?

Old 03-31-2020 | 05:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

First pass with engine greaser and a stiff bristle brush .. second pass with brake kleen .. i saved the brake clean in an air tight container and use it for cleaning small parts and bolts...
I did all of the cleaning outside before i brought it in .

I actually used a pressure washer after blocking all the openings on my very first pass with engine degreaser .... it was a family affair .! .

Name:  1hM4Nxo.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  1.05 MB

Name:  F0ZWutT.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  1.25 MB
Old 03-31-2020 | 06:24 PM
tac911t
Rennlist Member

I have a P202 tool, and a 1 13/16" crowfoot and a 1 13/16" socket that I am looking to get rid of.
And the P140 securing nut piston holders.

PM if interested.
Old 03-31-2020 | 06:56 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tac911t
I have a P202 tool, and a 1 13/16" crowfoot and a 1 13/16" socket that I am looking to get rid of.
And the P140 securing nut piston holders.

PM if interested.
ahh.. man.. a day late🙁 I ordered the tools from pelican. Thanks though.
Old 03-31-2020 | 07:05 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

Iceman.. I might be a little late to pressure wash.. I like it though. Thought of easy day today, just worked on my runners.

Old 03-31-2020 | 07:45 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Are you going to take off the heads? I guess I missed the jump from blown airbox and valve adjustment to engine disassembly.

If you don't plan to reuse the heat exchangers, then I would sacrifice them now. Cut them off, this lets you attack the nuts holding the flanges to the heads with a Dremel. Otherwise I would be surprised if you can get all the nuts off without breaking a stud.

Mark
Old 03-31-2020 | 08:43 PM
Syncro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Are you going to take off the heads? I guess I missed the jump from blown airbox and valve adjustment to engine disassembly.

If you don't plan to reuse the heat exchangers, then I would sacrifice them now. Cut them off, this lets you attack the nuts holding the flanges to the heads with a Dremel. Otherwise I would be surprised if you can get all the nuts off without breaking a stud.

Mark
Hi Mark.. ya unfortunately found 3 lower studs broken off. So I’m going to change the lowers with steel. Looks like a common theme.. from blown airbox to head studs. Not going to split the case just the lower studs..
I already have new
- Bosch injectors / sleeves
- airbox with pop off valve/ spider
- bunch of seals and gaskets
- sensors
- breather hose
- will need new clutch kit
- probably exhaust in the future
Trying to get the engine part done first and hopefully it fires right up. 🙏

question..? Did my research seems like the upper steel is ok to use for the lower studs.. my Porsche dealership was hesitant on it.
cheers.

Quick Reply: Project 80 911 sc quick Q? On engine removal