Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Found a leak...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004 | 08:58 AM
phattey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a leak...

Last night I backed the 87 out of the garage and found a small oil spot. No biggy, figured it was the valve cover gaskets. To my surprise, it was coming from another spot. However, I'm not sure what this area is.

It was at the rear of the motor back against the muffler in the center. Like an oil seal for the crank or something.

Any ideas??

Phattey...
Old 03-05-2004 | 06:57 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

If it is not running down from somewhere else, it very well maybe that seal leaking. Have you changed type of oil lately? Try to trace down the source, maybe something else leaking that would be an easier fix. Good luck. "MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU"
Old 03-05-2004 | 08:52 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very strange. About two years ago, I had the exact same thing happen after my '86 coupe had been sitting for about a month. Only a couple drops from what appeared to be behind the muffler toward the rear valance. I looked and looked and could not find where it came from. It has never happened again. (OK where's the wood to knock on..)

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:58 PM
gecc
Advanced

It is most likely the o-ring for the counter balance shaft. Not a big deal to change. Drop the muffler, remove the rear pan, support the engine with a floor jack and remove the rear engine support/cradle. I would also recomend replacing the crankshaft seal as well.

Quick Reply: Found a leak...