clucth and gearbox questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:12 AM
BPBevins
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clucth and gearbox questions

hello all,

i have a 86 carrera with 113k on it. i have owned it for about 1 yr. i have the records from the p o and they are extensive. from 95-100k there was close to 17,000 spent on the car. part of that money was spend on the clutch and 1st and 2nd gear parts. my first question is this, how durable are there gearboxes? in the last few weeks, i have ground 1st gear several times,once really bad. this has happened when i am rolling up to a stop and at low speed and rpm, pushing lever into 1st and thats when it grinds. im sure its not normal, but why does it do it only sometimes?
and also, is there a clutch adjustment other then pedal adjustment? although the clutch has less then 15k on it i just doesnt seem to engage right, on high rpm 1 to 2 gear changes is just doesnt have the kick or feel that most cars do, never slips just feels "different". perhaps its due to the close gear ratios in that gear box.

thanks
brandon
86 carrera
88 M3
Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 AM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember you can not "slam" the shifter from 2nd to 1st, you must sort of "feel" into it and allow a hesitation after coming out of 2nd before going into 1st. Also double clutching is a common practice when downshifting these trannys.

You can adjust the clutch cable as well. Here's a link to a Pelican tech article that covers the adjustment towards the end of the article:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...utch_cable.htm

You may want to pick up a copy of Wayne Dempsey's 101 Projects fo ryou Porsche 911. It covers the adjustment as well as many other DIY projects.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: clucth and gearbox questions