Best Maker of Electr Switches

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 03:01 PM
l02turner
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Maker of Electr Switches

Hi Gang,
Was looking for 911-606-230-00 oil pressure light switch that mounts on top of the engine near the clutch. There are so many people making these switches I wondered if one is better than the other? I've seen them by: Facet, URO, DP & Partworks. I suspect there are more but this is a start. Naturally Porsche sells them as well under their own label.

The Porsche part is over $30 and the aftermarket switches are around $5. Is there really a 6X factor in quality like the price indicates? Something tells me no, especially in modern times. There's likely a VW part that crosses over as well but I haven't gone that far yet.

Interested in your opinion/Facts please....
Old 02-10-2020, 04:17 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Generally car manufacturers use a lot of ”generic” parts, parts that are not specially made for them. But also they have a lot of parts made just for them.
Look at the switch, it’s probably made by Bosch or VDO. If you buy an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) part with same numbers, you usually get the same part but you don’t pay for the branded box. If you buy from a reputable supplier an OEM switch you should get an exact replacement.
This can be sometimes tricky as there are a lot of counterfeit parts and not so honest suppliers. Pay little more and buy from a reputable supplier.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:02 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

factory item may be tested or have tighter spec. - how important is the item?
Old 02-13-2020, 11:11 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

There are many parts in a car. Generally I would say if you buy a part, say this oil pressure switch and you have a switch from Porsche box and an other from a VDO or Bosch box with same numbers on the part, you have an identical part. No better or more accurate from Porsche box.
Some parts, like the 3.2 crankshaft position sensors are used also in other brands. I bought sensors for BMW and the difference was only a little longer cable. Much cheaper.
You need to investigate a little and sometimes you can save a lot.

Quick Reply: Best Maker of Electr Switches