Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2017 rear brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Douglas Crane
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 rear brake wear

So I Have a 2017 991.2 911 2wd. Just in for 10k mike service. Tires are wearing great and are still 50% and wearing even front to back. Front brake pads are at 11mm. Tears are at 4mm.

with even wearing tires, why would rears need needing new pads when from are essentially new. Car was purchased new. Don’t drive hard. Dealer says it’s accelaeration and traction control. But if that was the case the rear tires should be worn much more than front from acceleration. They want an arm and leg for rear rotors and pads. Since it’s sow low mileage I am thinking pads only.

any bthoughts as to what could be going on?

Old 02-07-2020, 08:08 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas Crane
So I Have a 2017 991.2 911 2wd. Just in for 10k mike service. Tires are wearing great and are still 50% and wearing even front to back. Front brake pads are at 11mm. Tears are at 4mm.

with even wearing tires, why would rears need needing new pads when from are essentially new. Car was purchased new. Don’t drive hard. Dealer says it’s accelaeration and traction control. But if that was the case the rear tires should be worn much more than front from acceleration. They want an arm and leg for rear rotors and pads. Since it’s sow low mileage I am thinking pads only.

any bthoughts as to what could be going on?
Wrong forum bud, need to go to water cooled...
Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Found this link, might be of interest ref rear brake wear. I dunno whether it's true or not.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...-and-bearings/

"Another factor that has accelerated brake wear (especially rear brake wear) in certain late model vehicles is the change to electronic brake proportioning. The proportioning valve that normally reduces hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes has been eliminated so the rear brakes will handle a higher percentage of the brake load and be more aggressive. The antilock brake system performs the job of brake proportioning by keeping an eye on how the rear brakes are behaving. If the rear brakes start to lock up when braking hard, the ABS system kicks in and cycles pressure to the rear wheels to prevent them from skidding.

This approach helps the vehicle stop in a shorter distance, but also increases rear brake wear dramatically. This means the rear brakes will often wear out before the front brakes."

Old 02-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Douglas Crane
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mods, can you move this to correct forum? if not delete it please.

Apologies.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:03 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I will add one more comment before the thread is moved. If you track and or autocross the car, or even spiritedly drive it frequently with Porsche Stability Management ON you will use more rear brakes. That system (PSM) is designed to apply some rear braking when the computer senses the rear end is losing control as in the lateral "G" forces are above what it is programed as normal driving

Quick Reply: 2017 rear brake wear