1984 911 Carrera Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 10:55 AM
cerex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 911 Carrera Tune Up

Hello hopeful someone has a list handy.

I own a 1984 911 3.2 have had her for 10 years.
put on a out 400 miles/year currently have 43,000 miles.

aside from annual oil changes I have not had to do much in terms of other maintenance.

Does any one have a list/suggestions handy for what a full tune up should be. April headed out for a 600 mile road trip want to make her road worthy.

gathering details and plans fo give her a full tuneup she deserves it

History
8 years - ago belts done, new alternator, spark plugs
6 years ago - tires
1 year ago - new fuel pump, new battery, replaced turn switch/light relay after electrical overheat. Installed light relay into fuse box.

About 3200 miles total over past 8 years, 200 over past year (need to drive more)

Minimal white smoke on cold start up, idle is perfect, no issues shifting or braking

many thanks
alex

Old 02-06-2020, 12:19 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

not that much, but keep these things in mind

valve adjust, oil change (drain both the tank and the crank case) lubricate all of the suspension bushings, air cleaner, spark plugs, wire set, dist cap, rotor, check the air flow meter boot and vacuum lines for looseness and cracks, check for oil leaks, check the alternator belt, check the charging system, (make sure that it is not overcharging) check the battery and clean the battery area., check all lights and instrument operation, check the tire condition and tire pressure, check the shifter for looseness, check the brake lines and the fluid level and flush if the fluid is more than five years old, change the fuel filter, check wiper, wiper blades, and turn signal operation, check lug nut tightness (90 ftlbs) check the brake pads and rotors, check front wheel bearing play, check the exhaust system for leaks, check the shocks for leaks.

That is a short list I am sure that I forgot something
The following users liked this post:
SARGEPUG (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:23 PM
cerex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great thank you.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:36 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dr914
not that much, but keep these things in mind

valve adjust, oil change (drain both the tank and the crank case) lubricate all of the suspension bushings, air cleaner, spark plugs, wire set, dist cap, rotor, check the air flow meter boot and vacuum lines for looseness and cracks, check for oil leaks, check the alternator belt, check the charging system, (make sure that it is not overcharging) check the battery and clean the battery area., check all lights and instrument operation, check the tire condition and tire pressure, check the shifter for looseness, check the brake lines and the fluid level and flush if the fluid is more than five years old, change the fuel filter, check wiper, wiper blades, and turn signal operation, check lug nut tightness (90 ftlbs) check the brake pads and rotors, check front wheel bearing play, check the exhaust system for leaks, check the shocks for leaks.

That is a short list I am sure that I forgot something
+1, and I would emphasize the spark plug wire set. Over the years, I’ve noticed more of a performance improvement from new wires than any other regular maintenance item. Drop off sneaks up on you as wires age. And I would avoid aftermarket wires. Mike
Old 02-10-2020, 03:01 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

spark plugs might be ok

important safety issue is the brake fluid - every 2-3 years without fail

if the rubber brake hoses are 20 years old or you don't know, then replace them with new factory rubber; otherwise squeeze them to be sure they are ok

the 3.2L cars have a fuel line that often fails causing engine fires - be sure it has been replaced - BoxsterGT is the screen name of the guy for new ones, might be on Pelican only

Quick Reply: 1984 911 Carrera Tune Up