Frsh Air Blower Early 911s

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:45 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frsh Air Blower Early 911s

I have found the fresh air blower to be the poorest documented electrical issue on earlier cars. I need some help in deciding how to fix a small problem. The top slider on my controls, when pushed to the extreme right, runs the fan on hi, but when released, rebounds slightly to a 'dead' spot between hi and med speed.

Question: Is this a cable issue, or a contact issue in the switch. I just started doing this last fall after 14 years of trouble free use.

Nest question: I have the OE under dash A/C and wonder if the switch is servicable, how best to get at it? Can I pull the ***'y out? Can I go in from the Clock or Tach? Or, do i have to drop the AC plenum?

Of course the key question here is--Is the switch servicable, eg.: CLeaning or adjusting contacts?

Last, My fan is getting a bit tired. does anyone have advice, tips or procedures for the best way to relace it with the minimum disassembly?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2004, 05:26 PM
BYUengineer
Track Day

If the switch rebounds it sounds like a linkage problem. I would look there first because it would be much cheaper to lubricate those moving parts than to replace any electrical components. You could tinker with it from inside while someone whatches for any binding parts on the outside. At least that's what I would do first.

BYUengineer
Old 03-03-2004, 01:56 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help BYU, I will try that this afternoon. Any comments on the motor replacement issue? if it is easier than it looks, I might do it while I'm in there.

Quick Reply: Frsh Air Blower Early 911s