Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tossin' the rubber washer that raises the front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:49 PM
dascar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tossin' the rubber washer that raises the front end

Apparently there is a 2" tall hard rubber washer/bushing in the front end of our US cars that the factory put there to raise the front bumpers up to US standard. Well, I really, really want to remove those stupid things and get my car lowered a tad for better appearance and handling. Anybody know where these things are supposed to be and how to get to them so they can be tossed?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:58 PM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not quite sure what bushings you are refering to, but I doubt that removing them will effect you suspension.

To lower the front end you will need to remove the front pan, which covers the suspension crossmember and turn the adjustment tabs upwards.

Be sure to start with a measurement of the current ride height at the wheel wells, both sides, with the car on flat ground. Rock the car to be sure the suspension is settled, measure, jack it up, pull the pan, adjust the tabs, lower it, rock it, remeasure again on both sides.

Generally, 23 1/2 to 24 1/2 is a good ride height.

Now the rear end is a whole other deal and will usually require taking it to a shop. The four corner lowering job will be followed by a four wheel alignment, since the rear suspension needs to be totally disconnected at the torsion bars.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:16 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are going to lower the car, you have to pay attention to both ends and then shim the steering rack to aviod bump steer. And remember to re-align your headlights when you are all done.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Removing the washer (Metal not rubber) will not lower the car. It was installed to keep the front shocks in their normal operating range once the US cars were raised from 1974 to 1982 (I think those years are right).

To lower the front end you don't need to remove the belly pan, but merely use the adjustment screws at the torsion bar end caps. Once the car is lowered, the large washers (Almost 1 cm thick) should be removed from the top of the shocks. The common EURO height from the fender lips is 25.5" in the front and 25" in the rear. THis will give the car a slight (1 degree) rake. Anything lower than 24.5" in the front would require shorten shocks to get the best performance.

Also, as mentioned earlier, the rear is a bit more difficult.

Noel

Quick Reply: Tossin' the rubber washer that raises the front end