Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooled 911- Canadian Import Process?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019 | 11:31 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Default Air Cooled 911- Canadian Import Process?

I'm currently looking at a car located in Canada and wanted to know what the process is for importing it. I hear there's exemptions for cars that are over 25 years old (this one is). I've also heard that the 2.5% duties are exempt up to the first $400. How does that work? Do I need a Canadian temp tag, and how do I get one remotely? I plan to purchase the vehicle and have a transport service bring it to the border for me to drive across (I live in Michigan). DOT Form H7 and EPA Form 3520-1 - do I fill these out still for the car or is it exempt?
Old 12-14-2019 | 07:42 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

I have used Greg at Crossborder Solutions for 5 cars...and for a nominal fee...(cheap in my opinion)....manages the entire process. 613-968-1428. Make sure you know pick the transporter though ie Intercity...or one you trust.
Old 12-14-2019 | 10:46 AM
Soup
Instructor

Where in Canada is the car? Very simple for temp permits if in BC.
Old 12-14-2019 | 06:39 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I have used Greg at Crossborder Solutions for 5 cars...and for a nominal fee...(cheap in my opinion)....manages the entire process. 613-968-1428. Make sure you know pick the transporter though ie Intercity...or one you trust.
They have a broker that can do it for a couple hundred bucks. I'll most likely use theirs if I buy it. Peace of mind I guess?

Originally Posted by Soup
Where in Canada is the car? Very simple for temp permits if in BC.
Car is in Vancouver. I just need a state temporary tag and I'm good right? Then take the Canadian registration to the DMV with the import paperwork and request a title?
Old 12-14-2019 | 09:09 PM
Soup
Instructor

Correct. You go to the nearest Autoplan broker (they're everywhere) with the seller, sign the transfer form (available there), and seller signs the bottom of the registration/ownership slip and the agent will be able to issue you a temporary operator's permit. Proceed to drive down to Peace Arch and fill out the two forms with the CBP and then to your friendly DMV office.

Insurance in the states I'm not entirely sure on whether the TOP covers you till you reach home or ends at the 49th parallel.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled 911- Canadian Import Process?