Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Opinions 4 temporarily reusing 6 month old 3.2 intake manifold gaskets 4 a few months

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 02:42 PM
tp930s
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions 4 temporarily reusing 6 month old 3.2 intake manifold gaskets 4 a few months

Just looking for some opinions about re-using 6 month old intake manifold/port gaskets on my 3.2 motor for a few months, until I take the motor out in order to

do a bunch of internal mods. I'm going to be spending a large amount of cash on all the mods and fabrications to the motor, so I'm trying to keep my budget down on as many things as possible. Due to the amount of money that I'm going to put into the internals, I'm going to start off with doing all of the external mods/fabrications, to get it all dialed in while I put together the funds to do the internals. I'm going to change my fan shroud, so its going to require me to take the manifold off. I'm thinking that since the gaskets have only been on the motor for about six months, and have very few hours of run time on them, that there shouldn't be any issues if I re-use them for a few months, then replace them with new ones when I do all of the internals on the motor. I always replace any gaskets that have been taken off my motors whenever I do work on them, but they've always been for long term use. Any opinions from qualified people/mechanics that work on 3.2's would be highly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch

Last edited by tp930s; 12-13-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Correct error in title "intake"
Old 12-13-2019, 03:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I wouldn't play w/ such a sensitive items. What the heck could new gaskets cost you anyway? Think if you missed something after inspecting the old one, cost you $$$$. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish!
BTW, looks killer...
Old 12-13-2019, 08:10 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I wouldn't play w/ such a sensitive items. What the heck could new gaskets cost you anyway? Think if you missed something after inspecting the old one, cost you $$$$. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish! .
+1
The following users liked this post:
SARGEPUG (12-18-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Intake gaskets are like $20 each. Skip Starbucks for a week and call it even.
The following users liked this post:
SARGEPUG (12-18-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I see no reason why the gaskets could not be re-used.
The green gaskets do not harden and if they stick to the
heads they should be fine. If the are heavely compressed,
there is a ridge outside, then you need to carefully align
the manifold.
A little Hylomar could be used to ensure leakproof joint.
As you know if you have a leak in #3, it will run hot and
DME try to correct it and the engine run poorly.

Quick Reply: Opinions 4 temporarily reusing 6 month old 3.2 intake manifold gaskets 4 a few months