Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I won an auction and I don't know what to do now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019 | 10:51 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkhattari
So does anyone know where I can look for a reliable transportation company? Thank you
Ask the seller if they have a recommendation.
Old 11-25-2019 | 10:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

So does anyone know where I can look for a reliable transportation company? Thank you
Ask Rennlister InterCity for a quote.
Old 11-25-2019 | 12:24 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Drive it home?
Old 11-25-2019 | 01:27 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

OP, you are overthinking everything here. As mentioned above, car looks good for the $ and if you find it strapping you for too much cash at one point, sell it! The 3.2 gen has been on the rise for a while and I don't see an end to it for a long time. As the car gets older, less on the road, all of us that had the posters on the wall buying the up, etc. etc. Car's are close to bullet proof and only major work I had to do, since buying in 2011, is a recent top end rebuild. Find out the last time the valves were adjusted, rule of thumb is every 15k and is performed w/ engine in.
Old 11-25-2019 | 10:18 PM
mkhattari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
OP, you are overthinking everything here. As mentioned above, car looks good for the $ and if you find it strapping you for too much cash at one point, sell it! The 3.2 gen has been on the rise for a while and I don't see an end to it for a long time. As the car gets older, less on the road, all of us that had the posters on the wall buying the up, etc. etc. Car's are close to bullet proof and only major work I had to do, since buying in 2011, is a recent top end rebuild. Find out the last time the valves were adjusted, rule of thumb is every 15k and is performed w/ engine in.
Thank you. It was scary the first day but now I'm happy and I can't wait for it to come home.
The following users liked this post:
SARGEPUG (11-26-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 09:18 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

You probably should have started with a cheap Boxster or 996, but it's too late now. As with most cars, drive it as much as possible to keep the fluids moving, find a knowledgeable forum where you can ask for advice, invest in a set of HF tools and do as much of your own wrenching as possible, and you should be okay.

Also: Join your local PCA region, attend the meetings and get to know the other P-car owners and enthusiasts in your area.
Old 11-27-2019 | 09:24 AM
mkhattari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
You probably should have started with a cheap Boxster or 996, but it's too late now. As with most cars, drive it as much as possible to keep the fluids moving, find a knowledgeable forum where you can ask for advice, invest in a set of HF tools and do as much of your own wrenching as possible, and you should be okay.

Also: Join your local PCA region, attend the meetings and get to know the other P-car owners and enthusiasts in your area.

I see a lot of old Porsches around here so I think? PCA is large here in Orlando. Thanks for the advice 👍
Old 11-27-2019 | 10:52 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Driving the car home to Orlando, Florida from Creede, Colorado at this time of year would be unrealistic. Creede is dead center in Colorado, five hours southwest of Denver. It is high up in the mountains, at the foot of San Luis Peak, which tops out over 14,000 feet. Getting to and from Creede from anywhere requires driving over major mountain passes on secondary roads, possibly some gravel depending on the seller's exact location. Winter started with a vengeance yesterday; Denver got about 15 inches of snow. Then, it would be a 2000 mile drive to Orlando. In a 40 year old Porsche of unknown driveability and condition. By now, the OP is probably having thoughts of the Donner Party. In fact, a very similar incident occurred very close to Creede during the harsh winter of 1874, in which a guide called Alferd Packer killed and ate the entire party he was guiding.

Hire a transporter service.
Old 11-27-2019 | 11:04 AM
mkhattari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raspritz
Driving the car home to Orlando, Florida from Creede, Colorado at this time of year would be unrealistic. Creede is dead center in Colorado, five hours southwest of Denver. It is high up in the mountains, at the foot of San Luis Peak, which tops out over 14,000 feet. Getting to and from Creede from anywhere requires driving over major mountain passes on secondary roads, possibly some gravel depending on the seller's exact location. Winter started with a vengeance yesterday; Denver got about 15 inches of snow. Then, it would be a 2000 mile drive to Orlando. In a 40 year old Porsche of unknown driveability and condition. By now, the OP is probably having thoughts of the Donner Party. In fact, a very similar incident occurred very close to Creede during the harsh winter of 1874, in which a guide called Alferd Packer killed and ate the entire party he was guiding.

Yummy
Old 11-27-2019 | 02:20 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raspritz

I see your point, especially the part about getting eaten. That would definitely put a damper on the road trip and the whole new owner experience.

But OP's trip is all down hill. He could just strap on something like this.

The following users liked this post:
Shawn Stanford (12-03-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 04:20 PM
ShahmoneyXL
AutoX

Looks like a great buy to me. Enjoy it, I would love that Targa in my collection.
Old 11-27-2019 | 05:12 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I'll give you $24K for it if you get it home and decide it has to go.

Old 11-27-2019 | 11:55 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Yummy
The restaurant at the University of Colorado-Boulder student union is named The Alferd Packer Grille....
Old 11-28-2019 | 03:18 AM
RSbob
Racer

I had the same buyers remorse issue, without the baby, when I impulsively bought my Cayenne and started reading all the horrendous issues they can suffer. But after a couple of weeks common sense kicked in, that it was very well maintained and the issues posted on the board is the reason the board exists. It’s certainly not there to post all the success stories. For the first year it was bulletproof but at the end of it started having starter issues. Thanks to the board, I didn’t replace the ignition as first suggested by the shop but directly had the starter replaced and problem solved with no extra expense.

If you bought a well sorted car, have this (or Pelican) board for troubleshooting your expenses can be kept reasonable (engine and tranny rebuilds not withstanding). Drive and enjoy one of the most classic and iconic sports cars on the planet through the summer and then decide.

My token dog shot of Harlee, a true car enthusiast

The following 2 users liked this post by RSbob:
Big Swole (11-28-2019), Overdraft (11-30-2019)
Old 11-28-2019 | 02:44 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Great resource to get shipping prices. Being where the car is originating from I’d give serious consideration to using “enclosed” service despite it being more expensive. If you’re flexible on dates it helps your pricing. Almost all the companies in the car moving business are brokers save the few big name carriers that work the auto auction circuit.

https://www.transportreviews.com/

Quick Reply: I won an auction and I don't know what to do now!