Positive for the Porsche Brand
48.44%
Neutral for the Porsche Brand
14.06%
Negative for the Porsche Brand
6.25%
Very Negative for the Porsche Brand
1.56%
I will not buy further Porsche automobiles due to the introduction of the Boxster
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Research Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004 | 07:23 PM
proactivekarma
4th Gear

Default Porsche Research Poll

Hi-

I am conducting a marketing research project into the strength of the Porsche brand in the United States, specifically, the effect of the Boxster on the core 911 Porsche customer. If you could take a moment to take this poll regarding your perception of the Porsche brand/image, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2004 | 07:29 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

How much do yo pay for participation in the survey?
Old 02-26-2004 | 07:35 PM
proactivekarma
4th Gear

I'd love to be able to pay for it, but I'm just a poor grad student up to my ears in debt, so I have to plead poverty on this one.
Old 02-26-2004 | 07:49 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Default This poll is a little vauge isnt it??

eom
Old 02-26-2004 | 07:58 PM
proactivekarma
4th Gear

To clarify, what I am trying to determine is whether or not the Boxster has altered the perception of the Porsche brand-- not whether or not it has been good for the company financially or from an engineering standpoint.
Old 02-26-2004 | 08:03 PM
markwemple
Instructor

The question might be what has the Cayenne done to Porsche's image?
Old 02-26-2004 | 11:31 PM
real550A
Intermediate

Porsche is in the business of selling cars. In that light, the Boxster is good for Porsche. They seem to have sold quite a few of them.
Porsche built their brand loyalty on their phenomenal racing heritage. I don't see where the "cute" car helps that much. (Just my .02!)
Old 02-27-2004 | 08:45 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by real550A
Porsche built their brand loyalty on their phenomenal racing heritage. I don't see where the "cute" car helps that much. (Just my .02!)
The 911 has sold just as many on "Porsche image" alone as the Boxster has...remember the 80s. Yes, the racers were doing exceptionally well, but many many many new Porsche owners at the time could have cared less and only wanted to be seen in a "Porsh".

I think the Boxster is a phenomenal driver's car and I can confidently say I didn't buy mine for it's "image" (or because it's "cute"). Once we get past this initial wave of image seekers I think you'll see more enthusiasts rave about the car. You could say the same for just about every recent Porsche.

I DO think the only shame is the factory won't let the Boxster be a) more powerful and b) any level of factory racer. I think it would be more respected by the enthusiasts then.

Old 02-27-2004 | 09:20 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by real550A
Porsche is in the business of selling cars.
Well no. According to PAG Management, "Porsche is in the business of making profit". Shudder. Talk about forgetting what your core business is.

Anyway. while the Boxster arguably saved the company, I think it has diminished the brand (along with 996 and Cayenne) in the eyes of enthusiasts. But enthusiasts are no longer Porsches target group (just not enough of us). I think it made the brand more accessible and has not diminished it in the eyes of the general public. A lot of People still get a Porsche just so they have owned a Porsche (just a guess - looking at the legions of off-lease Boxters and 996s out there).

Stef
Old 02-27-2004 | 09:28 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stef - that's an important distinction. The "enthusiasts" clearly don't like the new cars, but the public, including the majority of the automotive press (why are they not "enthusiasts"?) love just about everything that comes out of Stuttgart (or Leipzeig..?sp).

I used to think of myelf as an "enthusiast"...but if that means I can't love the new Porsches, I don't want to be one....
Old 02-27-2004 | 10:19 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't want to take the thread too far OT here, but -

I'm not saying that the new cars are not great, fast, well handling cars - they are, but that what made the Porsche brand the legend, is being ignored. I'm not saying that as an enthusiast you can't enjoy a modern Porsche, but perhaps you do miss some of the aspects of the old cars (which is perhaps why some of us have '72 T projects? ), and wonder where it's all going.

Stef
Old 02-27-2004 | 10:39 AM
markwemple
Instructor

As an "enthusiast" my first scare was when they offered their first fully automatic transmission. Form there it has been downhill Really it is now a GT and sportute company. The way its going, I hope VW buys back in and saves it from itself!!!
Old 02-27-2004 | 10:40 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by stefang
I'm not saying that as an enthusiast you can't enjoy a modern Porsche...

...and wonder where it's all going.
I'm sorry, my comments about not wanting to be an "enthusiast" are not in response to your comments, but the many, many, (...many) other comments I've read on this board about the "softening" of Porsche. (..and some direct comments about the "handbag" I drive.)

I too wonder where it's all going. But I think times have changed and Porsche is just changing with them. The bottom line is this...Porsche still makes GREAT cars and still has a GREAT pedigry in all kinds of racing circles. That to me is what the Porsche legend, the brand, is all about.

FYI and a little further OT....yes, I do miss driving a 911 (my '72 project isn't running ). I plan to turn it into a lightweight hotrod as I can afford it. That should more than satisfy my desires for those early car charms.

Old 02-27-2004 | 12:37 PM
M758
Race Director

As a 944 owner I think the Boxster has done good things for Porsche. Sold alot cars to alot of Enthuasists. There are ALOT of Boxsters in my Local PCA. Alot of these guys have own other Porsche's or still do. Relativly affordable and fun.

I'd be more concern about what the 996 has done for the Porsche image and 911 as whole.

From what I have heard the 996 is nice GT (read more 928 in 911 cloths) car and only the GT3 has the rawness and spirt of most 911's.
Old 02-27-2004 | 02:29 PM
proactivekarma
4th Gear

I really appreciate the feedback you all have been leaving here- it's as important (if not more important) than the poll data. Thanks! And the eventual question will be what the effect of the Cayenne will be, but from an academic point of view, there aren't enough data points yet with regards to sales numbers, resale values, dealership effects, etc.

Thanks again for helping out- and further commentary is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Porsche Research Poll