Positive for the Porsche Brand
48.44%
Neutral for the Porsche Brand
14.06%
Negative for the Porsche Brand
6.25%
Very Negative for the Porsche Brand
1.56%
I will not buy further Porsche automobiles due to the introduction of the Boxster
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Research Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004 | 03:23 PM
Eric-17

HI:

I don't own a Porsche yet, but will. Here's my ten cents:

* Although I won't be buying anything but a used 911 or Cayenne, I see the Boxter as a positive development for Porsche. Despite the wishes of many, a company must make a profit to stay in bussiness (and satisfy investors). The Boxter is certainly not an auto that Porsche should be ashamed of... Quite the opposite.

* My thoughts on the Cayenne? See the above. I'd love to buy one when they reach a reasonable price (read: used and less than my left arm).

* Brand dillution? Give me a break. You hear the same "Too GT" complaints about most versions of the 911 produced since the late 70's or 'brand dilution' when the 912, 944, 968 and 928 came out. Just depends on who you talk to and how 'committed' they are to the idea of 'nothing but a street legal 911 race car'. The cost for R&D must be astronomical when trying to find an edge in the high-performance car market. I find it interesting that those same individuals who want nothing from Porsche but the GT3 type auto (and a factory race team) lament it's cost (myself included). Can you imagine what the cost would be if PAG had to pay for develpment costs, etc. if it had to rely on sales of that car to survive? After all, how many with the early 'pure' 911's find it necessary to put it on a diet. I am constantly reading of owners lightning their cars, upgrading brakes and oil coolers, covnerting to RS, etc. Those with the bucks still have the choice to purchase a GT3 rather than a standard 996... Don't they?

* Enthusiasts? I thought those were people who loved cars... Not people who deride those that don't fit their idea of 'their car', but those that love cars and appreciate each one for it's uniqeness... Hell, even the Pacer had value! It made us laugh every time we saw one.

* Having said the above: Sometimes I wonder if those upset about 'brand dilution' or whatever are more interested in preserving the image others have of their car than seeing Porsche continue to survive and thrive. I share the wish to see a PAG factory race team again but... It's been a tough time for all industries the last couple of years... Especially so for auto makers. Yes, PAG is very profitable... Better than 'scraping by' or not producing at all...

The above is all IMHO... Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2004 | 03:29 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent points Eric, all of 'em.
Old 02-27-2004 | 11:54 PM
markwemple
Instructor

Atleast the boxster is a car.
Old 03-01-2004 | 04:34 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Boxter seems to be a replacement "entry level car" for the younger crowd of buyers that would otherwise be driving a rice burners. They did it once or twice before, with the 914 and the 924. The sucess of the 924 lead to the 944's popularity, and it's growth into the 951.

The top of the line 911's have generally been reserved for the affluent among us, which usually means rich old farts. These people want their comfort and the illusion that a "sports car" will make them young again. Hence the 996, with all it's buttons and extra weight.

The 986 is a great car that will begin showing how great it is in a few years when it makes sense to hotrod them for the track, without worring about the resale value going down.
Old 03-01-2004 | 08:25 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know that I agree with that. As a (twice) Boxster owner, I certainly don't fall into your first catagory. And when I get my newer 911, I certainly won't fall into your other catagory.

But to your point, I do agree that newer Porsche owners in general want all the extra goodies on their cars, regardless of what it does (or doesn't do) to the "purity" of the sports car. But I think that has more to do with changing times...
Old 03-01-2004 | 12:06 PM
schweeng
6th Gear

Couldn't agree more with you Eric. Good Post.
Old 03-01-2004 | 10:57 PM
JES1680
Instructor

As a 911 SC owner I think the Boxster is great for Porsche. An entry level sports car that harkens back to the 550 spyder. It is a modern car with all the modern features that we've come to expect.

Not many companies can afford to make a car without all the creature comforts that especially us Americans have come to demand if they expect to sell enough to pay for the development. Look no further than a Toyota Corola with fake wood and power everthing + 12 or 15 cup holders. In a day when a base economy car can be had with the creature comforts only available from upscale cars 10 years ago you've got to be competitive with your offerings.

However. Now that the Boxster platform is payed for and they've been out for a while, how about taking a chapter from Lotus and offering a stripped down version. No power anything. That includes steering or brakes. No sound proofing. Nothing that doesn't make it go or stop faster. Heck make the top optional to save weight.

Someday there will be a Boxster in my garage. Just because it's not a 911 doesn't mean it's not a "real" Porsche.

Quick Reply: Porsche Research Poll