78 911SC questions vs a 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:44 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotshot
Awesome post
Thanks. Hope it helped. And not add to first world dilemma. Lol.

Btw, I almost bought a 911SC project 4 weeks ago. Seller and I couldn’t agree on the price. The drive was nostalgic but wouldn’t replace my 996TT with it. I’d have to do serious restomod to be functionally equivalent to my 996TT.

Hope you scratch the itch soon.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m just thinking the 996TT won’t get out of 2nd gear offer and over time maybe I’d enjoy an SC or 83-89 more.. That retro vibe thing. The round lights out the front.. smells, analog.
The following users liked this post:
mclaudio (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:10 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you’re getting closer to a decision. Poster car for the win.

There is a couple of SC coupes for sale in Seattle area if you’re interested. The project at low $20s US; a well-preserved one in mid-$40s.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

Do you know if the SCs has rear seatbelts like the late 80s ones? I’m in Canada and out dollar sucks ATM. But buying US may be an option.

Te Road trip would rock.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:41 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

I have a Carrera and a 996TT. Totally different cars. Both make me smile.
If I had to choose, the TT would go. But having said that, if I to do a bit of driving during a work day, I'll take the TT.
Track? I drive the Carrera. Country drive. Carrera. With the wife. TT. Night time. TT.
Don't make me choose!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by 911 Rod:
Hotshot (09-11-2019), salo65 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

We have awesome back roads here in Ont. City traffic is like LA though...

I’d drive what ever I’m getting a lot in summers.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I have am 87 Carrera and an 05 GT3. My observations
If I was going to keep only one I would keep the 87. But both have their places
The 87 is more fun to drive on the weekend, in the backwoods. It is slower, and less capable. Getting above legal speeds takes a little longer, it is smaller, and just great to drive. I would not change much about it.
The GT3 is 3 generations better, faster, quicker, and arguably much better. But to really enjoy it you need to be on the track, it is just too fast for the street. Legal speeds are exceeded in the first 5 seconds of full throttle. 2nd gear could land you in jail. It is a fantastic car, and at the track more fun now than the 87. Not that the 87 isn't great to drive on the track it is just that everything else I am on the track with has double the horsepowers now and driving around pointing cars by is not much fun. It is a hoot to drive on the track though.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
The 87 is more fun to drive on the weekend, in the backwoods. It is slower, and less capable. Getting above legal speeds takes a little longer, it is smaller, and just great to drive. I would not change much about it.
The GT3 is 3 generations better, faster, quicker, and arguably much better. But to really enjoy it you need to be on the track, it is just too fast for the street. Legal speeds are exceeded in the first 5 seconds of full throttle. 2nd gear could land you in jail. It is a fantastic car, and at the track more fun now than the 87. Not that the 87 isn't great to drive on the track it is just that everything else I am on the track with has double the horsepowers now and driving around pointing cars by is not much fun. It is a hoot to drive on the track though.

Thats exactly what I have been thinking but can’t prove since I own nether and need this post to help. Yes the 996T is an underrated beast.

Realistically I’m 1hr from a track and a lot of traffic. If you do 50km over they take your car from you here. I am 3 min from back twistys and love the idea of back drives, stiff shifting old leather analog fun.

Would need 2 working back seats for the little ones and would really drive it. Starting to look Coupe 78-89 whale tail. Oh and.. it’s the poster car.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:35 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

I find there is more room in the back seat of my 86 than my TT.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:35 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Do you know if the SCs has rear seatbelts like the late 80s ones? I’m in Canada and out dollar sucks ATM. But buying US may be an option.

Te Road trip would rock.
Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I have a Carrera and a 996TT. Totally different cars. Both make me smile.
If I had to choose, the TT would go. But having said that, if I to do a bit of driving during a work day, I'll take the TT.
Track? I drive the Carrera. Country drive. Carrera. With the wife. TT. Night time. TT.
Don't make me choose!!!
Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
Thats exactly what I have been thinking but can’t prove since I own nether and need this post to help. Yes the 996T is an underrated beast.

Realistically I’m 1hr from a track and a lot of traffic. If you do 50km over they take your car from you here. I am 3 min from back twistys and love the idea of back drives, stiff shifting old leather analog fun.

Would need 2 working back seats for the little ones and would really drive it. Starting to look Coupe 78-89 whale tail. Oh and.. it’s the poster car.

The SCs have 2-point seatbelts (US market and not standard). Not sure if this will meet your needs with little ones. 3-point seatbelts became standard in 1988 (US and Canada market).

I tend to agree with you and others on street fun: SC or even G-series Carrera. More fun at lower speeds. I use skinnier, winter tires all year on my 996TT for more fun at lower limits.

For daily use i.e. traffic, HVAC comfort, etc.: 996TT is preferred. I use my 996TT for pure street use with easy clutch/stick, working AC, etc. I have another car for pure fun use; and entertaining another for pure fun like a 60s Porsche or GT3 Cup/R.
Hotshot (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:06 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Te Road trip would rock.
My SC came with the bolts and bolt holes but no belts. I bought the seatbelts and added them. Look for the bolts and holes if you don’t see the actual seat belts. Very easy add.
Hotshot (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobonrun
My SC came with the bolts and bolt holes but no belts. I bought the seatbelts and added them. Look for the bolts and holes if you don’t see the actual seat belts. Very easy add.
Perfect. Thank you. I saw the blots but..
Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
You are never gonna believe this .. when i got my 78 SC someone had already installed the seat belts in the back .. i thought great .. when i took a close look i noticed they had installed the seat belts with the plastic bolts they put in there to plug the holes.
i cant believe someone could be that dumb....
a quick visit to Randy at Whaletale and i had all the hardened steel shoulder bolts i needed...

some people ...
Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 PM
ksluna
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in a similar position as you, albeit I was cross shopping G-bodies with a 997.2 S or a 991.1 (I'm just a huge fan of NA motors)

I ended up with an 89 carrera with a whale tail and couldn't be happier.
Buying a Porsche is (usually) an emotional one, so go with your heart on this one. I was like you where I wanted a modern car, but at every car meet I always found myself in the air-cooled section.

I can confirm though, that the "old dream car" feeling you speak of is the best.... This was the car I dreamed about driving when I was a kid without a license. The 996TT is one of the best Porsche deals you can buy today, but nothing I've ever driven feels as good as my G-body 911. The lack of power steering and go-kart feel, the vintage smell, the whale tail, and the joy of learning how to work on a (somewhat) simple machine.

A lot of people are talking about creature comforts but I never saw this argument unless it would be your DD which from your OP, it won't be. I've never been one to care about creature comforts in my weekend cars. I have a DD to get me to work and through the winter months. When I'm in the 911, all I care about is having a raw, analog, and connected driving experience, which the 911SC will offer in great magnitudes.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

That’s exactly what I’m after. I don’t work out of an office so dailying may be a 3 min school drop off followed but enjoying a day on backroads.

I have a 5 speed civic as a winter beater or salt on road car.

Quick Reply: 78 911SC questions vs a 996TT