Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'87 3.2 G50 Carrera Barn-Find

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 04:37 PM
Jeff911SC
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '87 3.2 G50 Carrera Barn-Find

Long-time Porsche enthusiast with a ’87 3.2 G50 Carrera Barn-find story. There are several issues with the car which will conspire to keep the price reasonable for someone willing to build the car up as they see fit.
We flew from our Michigan home to Boston in early July to pick up the car in a suburb around 40 miles west of downtown. The car was last driven in 2007, and had been sitting in place since. Wealthy owner with Bentleys etc. and a second home in the south of France returned to Boston back in 2007 to find the battery dead. He lost interest and that was that. A two-owner Boston-area car. First owner drove from 1987 to 1998 w/98k miles, when it was involved in a freshwater flood and declared a total insurance loss. Car was restored and second owner purchased late 1998. He drove it to 116k miles before finally parking it in 2007. Carfax shows a mileage irregularity, but the miles are backed up by receipts showing it is indeed a 116k car. He mentioned he never would have known it was in a flood if the seller hadn’t told him. Zero flood-related issues. Came with clean Massachusetts title, and then we transferred to a clean Michigan title, but upon running a CarFax on the VIN it shows the total insurance loss. The car had a windows-out respray prior to his ownership. The paint is in super condition - once we got the soot off of it and washed it, only a light polish was required to get it looking like new.
Upon arriving to pick the car up with our Penske car transporter we had to get it rolling - brakes were stuck. Penetrating oil + a hammer on the calipers did the trick and we were able to roll the car down to the trailer then winch it up. Over the 12 years it was stored with the gas tank almost full. We put a can of Seafoam in and topped it off before heading home to Michigan. Once home we removed the fuel sender at the top of the tank to find an immaculate inner tank surface. Drained 22 gallons, then set to work getting the car ready to start. Replaced fuel tank strainer, Bosch battery, NGK plugs, Bosch fuel pump, Mahle fuel filter-oil filter & air filter, Mobil 1 Delvac gear oil, and Lubri-Moly motor oil. Car started and drove fine, at which point it was time to adjust the valves. Pulled off lower right valve cover to discover two broken head studs. Lower left cover had 3 broken studs, and one disappointed new owner. But from what I understand it is almost inevitable that these engines have broken studs sooner or later. Of course the engine needs to come out and have all studs replaced, along with the usual cleaning, new seals and gaskets etc. I have elected not to have this work performed. I have included a short video to show the engine running nicely with no loud valve clatter + a quick drive around the yard, but the car really should not be run until the engine has been dealt with.
Overall condition is very good. Most are aware that this has a galvanized body and I have found no signs of corrosion on it. But underneath the car various suspension bits + metal oil lines had surface rust which I treated with POR-15 rust-neutralizing paint. Only the front sway bar and the 2 oil lines inside the right rear fender showed more corrosion than just “surface rust”. I removed almost all of the the carpeting and had it professionally cleaned and then glued back the pieces that require it.
New parts include hood and trunk gas struts, OEM trim: “Smile” front bumper filler, 2 front accordion bumper fillers, 2 rear bumper trim strips and full leather professionally-reupholstered seats. The dash is in perfect shape, and the Targa roof and headliner are looking very good. Leather steering wheel good. Electric seats work as normal. Clutch and shifter feel tight with no slop.
Considering the "baggage" this car carries with flood and head stud issues, I would appreciate feedback regarding what this car may be worth, at which point I will list in the classifieds. 248-568-4685 Here's the video:

Last edited by Jeff911SC; 08-21-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: need to add info
The following users liked this post:
vintage_mpg (08-30-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

For sale ads need a price.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Jeff911SC
7th Gear

Thanks Spyerx. I have altered the post accordingly, removing any reference to making offers: "Considering the "baggage" this car carries with flood and head stud issues, I would appreciate feedback regarding what this car may be worth, at which point I will list in the classifieds". I really don't have a clue on what it is worth.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Jeff911SC
7th Gear

bump
Old 08-23-2019, 10:52 PM
Rleog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 3.2 L engines were prone to valve guide wear. At 116,000 miles, that may also require attention and could also be considered baggage.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM
MAH77
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say between $20-25k. I think you could sell it for $20k tomorrow given the value of the motor, G50 transmission, fuchs and sport seats.

Quick Reply: '87 3.2 G50 Carrera Barn-Find