Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where to get detailing Clay Bar, TODAY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 04:11 PM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to get detailing Clay Bar, TODAY!

Gonna spend the weekend detailing my SC. I have used rubbing compounds before, but I just learned about detailing clay. I know I can order it. But, do any retail, walk in, auto supply, etc. stores have it? The 5 year old repaint on the car looks good, but feels like sandpaper. I know there's a shine under that grit and I would love to find it this weekend. Thanks in advance for the replys.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Face15
Advanced

Meguires brand at most Pep Boys stores - comes with a clay bar and bottle of their "speed shine" lubricant.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

We don't have Pep Boys here but I found McGuire's Clay bar kit at O'rielly's today for 9.99. They said they just started carrying it recently. I already used it, with outstanding results.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:17 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Default Clay is the way to go.............

Happy Waxing. John
Old 02-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

itsme,
You mention the respray feels like sandpaper. If that is the case I don't think the clay treatment will really help. You also mention you have used rubbing compound.
I think I would have the car looked at by a good painter or a professional detain shop and ask them if color sanding and a professional polish would help. Color sanding is not a job for the first timer as you can ruin the paint. Done properly can result in a dramatic improvement.

good luck-keep the board posted.

Lar
Old 02-23-2004, 02:34 PM
itsme-itsme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

I got the Mequires kit at Pep Boys Friday night. $12 maybe? I was surprised at how small the clay bar was. After reading the instructions, I dove right in. Spraying on panel at the time, using light pressure, I let the bar glige over the surfase in a back & forth motion. Quick, but not rushed. As instructed, I felt the surface as I went. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE! I wiped down the excess on the area and WOW. The paint was as smooth as glass. Next the door, rear quarter, the other side, the hood, the top, the engine deck, then all around the valance and below rear bumper. As the clay spead, I just kneaded it like puddy the reform a comfortable size bar.
When I stepped back, I couldn't believe it. It shined, and I haven't even polished or waxed it. All this took about 1.5 hours. It was a breeze.

I quit for the night. I had to clean the wifes car so Saturday, beginning at 1:PM I washed the Volvo, clayed it, polished it, waxed it twice, P21 on the wheels, Onyx on the tires, Lexol on the leather, Vinylex on the dash, wiped under the hood and 8 hours later it looked like it just left the showroom. I was temped to start the polish & wax on the 911, but held off. Sunday was full but I can't wait to enhance the shine I found under all that crud. So for all doubters,
CLAY IS THE WAY. Just be gentle and take your time. You will not be disapointed. Thanks for the replys...

Quick Reply: Where to get detailing Clay Bar, TODAY!