Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Debating an engine swap-so cal

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:42 AM
OC964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating an engine swap-so cal

So I’ve been debating and still not sure...so I thought I’d get some input!

i have a 73.5 T, with 2.4L CIS. Engine runs well and has been pretty reliable etc...and while it is period correct, it is not #s matching .
So I’ve been debating going for a swap to most likely a 3.2

What are some pros and cons I should consider?

Where is the best place to source a good engine? (Again in so. Cal)

What is a good figure for budget ( engine plus install and wiring etc)

thanks for the feedback!!!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:45 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

don't do it, that car is WAY to valuable to butcher up.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:37 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Do it. Your enjoyment is too valuable not to butcher it with a slow revving, low hp CIS motor.

Just store the original motor in case you want to sell the car some day.

I have done almost exactly the same thing - '73.5 w/ a CIS motor & (among other things) put in a hotrod 3.2L motor with PMO carbs, SSIs, Monty dual cowhorn muffler, twin-plugged, higher compr., hotter cams & etc. It transforms the car.

Many people have also swapped in a stock 3.2L with the EFI. You get better cold starts than carbs or CIS, but the whole package weighs more than stock and is MUCH faster.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:53 PM
union
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it. Car might me more valuable if you do it right. I would save the motor you have and put it aside even though it’s not a matching number. I’d call the usual shops like TRE, TLG and see if they know of a motor for sale. Possibly a motor from their customer who wants to upgrade or swap out their current setup.

Ive seen some nice narrow body 3.2 hotrods and the good ones changes hands quickly.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:03 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

What are the CA smog test issues for something like that?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:07 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
What are the CA smog test issues for something like that?
75 and older no smog in CA
Old 07-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I'm in the same position. No smog rules on these old cars, or better, is could say, no inspections to check compliance. I do think there are 'rules'

These old cars are most valuable 100% original (either restored or awesome unrestored) or 100% modified in a great way. I feel they are the most fun when they are modified in a great way.

You already have a mutt. Make it awesome or fun or yours.

An engine swap with an engine restore/rebuild + is probably in the 30k range, depends on core, build, and the induction/adjacencies.

DO IT. I will be.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by OC964
So I’ve been debating and still not sure...so I thought I’d get some input!

i have a 73.5 T, with 2.4L CIS. Engine runs well and has been pretty reliable etc...and while it is period correct, it is not #s matching .
So I’ve been debating going for a swap to most likely a 3.2

What are some pros and cons I should consider?

Where is the best place to source a good engine? (Again in so. Cal)

What is a good figure for budget ( engine plus install and wiring etc)

thanks for the feedback!!!
How original is the rest of the car, Or do you have plans for other modifications? I think that would be the deciding factor,

A 3.2 or hot 3.2-3.4 makes for a great motor. The 3.2 motor is heavier than your 2.4 and will make the backend feel a little different than what you experience now.

With bigger motor, you will probably want a slightly wider rear tire, and then need / want flares, and then want to start making the car a bit lighter and then want an LSD and then want wevo shifter and then want different seats and then want ........budget to do this, we all just stick the receipts in a box, lie to our wives and never, never total them up.

Whatever you do, enjoy!!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't be afraid to do it. But don't rush your decision. Do research to determine what you are looking for. As already mentioned, the newer motors are heavier and have different characteristics. My personal opinion is building a period correct hot rod motor. Need to decide if you want a high revving screamer motor or torquey cruiser or? Sky is the limit but there are great options with going to a 2.5, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 build. Pic your components and compression ratio and go for the character you are looking for.
Nothing wrong with putting in a 3.0 or 3.2 - actually they are great options (I debated this quite a bit). As mentioned above, think about the overall weight, handling characteristics and other mods needed (keep narrow body?) for your desired end result.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:15 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

stock motor will be heavier; mine is not or not much (carbs, SSIs compensate for the Al vs. Mg case and crank)

I can supply info if the PO is interested
Old 07-19-2019, 05:30 PM
OC964
Track Day

Wow! Great insight all around!
So the car is already far from original...which is what is the driving factor in terms of going 100% down the path. Already has RS flares, fairly stripped out interior, updated kw suspension, etc...so the engine is really the last big step!

In terms of setup my mindset was to go 3.2, efi...good power and easy/turnkey reliability...but I’m still doing my homework on other options too...
What is the concern on the weight of the engine? I’m assuming the power etc will out work the incremental weight....what else am I missing?

aside from tlg/tre are there any other key shops that might be a good place to start...I think most can do the install/build...I’m more concerned with a reliable source for the engine itself too...
Old 07-19-2019, 07:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

more wt. slung way out behind the center of mass... and it is not just a wt. balance (40% Front, 60% Rear) issue, it is a momentum issue (so non-linear with position, goes like z^2)

EFI (Motec or a custom Bosch unit like Robt. Linton uses on his amazing 964) can give more power than carbs with xlnt drivability; PMO carbs are even better than Webers tho PMO makes FI throttle bodies now

I have a 964/993 dual drive distr. in mine for the twin plugging, but if I had it to do over again I might go with a crankfire setup

it's all about the speed shop quote - you could put a Williams-ized Singer motor in it if you were willing to pay for a Singer, then swap motors...

or you could put a stock EFI 3.2L in - or anything in between

plenty of shops in SoCal to build what you want
Old 07-19-2019, 08:07 PM
danco_
Instructor

Funny that this thread comes up. I have an 87 3.2 Carrera with an 89 3.2L engine. Engine has 105k miles according to swap documentation.

And I'm pulling it out for a 3.6L twin plug varioram engine. Nothing wrong with the 3.2L engine. It's a very strong engine and has no issues, but I want more power.

So I get where you are coming from. I'm in the same boat for my 87 Carrera and I'm in Orange County, Ca.
I have a plan for smog too.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:36 AM
union
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this. It’s located near Los Angeles.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...m-16500-a.html
Old 07-20-2019, 02:47 AM
OC964
Track Day

The background on that engine seems a bit suspect...very few details and some odd descriptions....not sure that’s the right call.
Danco- I’ll pm you so we can exchange some additional notes!

Quick Reply: Debating an engine swap-so cal