Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'87 Clutch & Smog Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:32 AM
mjc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Clutch & Smog Questions

I searched the air/oil cooled forum but didn't seem to find what I was looking for --

I'm considering an '87 with 144k miles, 2nd owner, & some records, priced reasonably well (under 15k). When I drove the car, I noted 1st won't engage until the clutch is almost completely out, with about an inch or so of pedal left before it engages. There's no noise or any feel of grinding or chatter. Car shifts well in other gears, and perhaps also engages when the pedal's almost out, but I can't be sure.

I am scheduling a PPI but want to know if this scenario indicates something more substantial ahead.

Thanks in advance,
M
Old 02-18-2004, 04:35 AM
mjc
Intermediate

The smog question --

This vehicle is an out of state vehicle being driven in Cal-ee-fornia, and I plan on registering it in CA. Perhaps a silly question, but when I have it smogged, should it be done at a AA facility or at a regular smog check place. Will they do "something" to the car?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:19 PM
John in Norcal
Instructor

MJC,
I'm reluctantly considering to sell my pristine '87 Guards Red/Tan Targa to free up some funds for home improvement. Car has 158K and is in fabulous condition inside/out and mechanically. I also have complete service records dating back to the original owner. No expense has been spared in the mainteneance of this beauty during its lifetime. It also has the popular performance enhancements as you can see from my signature. If you like Targas and the color, I'm confident you will buy the car and you won't have to spend much more than you are planning for the out-of-state car and the related hassle that comes with it.

If you are interested, e-mail me privately ( johnclin@aol.com ) and we can exchange phone numbers and discuss more details. I have not listed the car in any classifieds or 'for sale' sites but may do so soon.

Quick Reply: '87 Clutch & Smog Questions