Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bad Experience with Sierra Madre

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad Experience with Sierra Madre

I'm curious as to the experience others have had with Sierra Madre (SMC). A few years ago I did a restoration on a 69 911T and had major issues with them being able to follow through with their promises so I stopped using them. It has been several years so I decided to give them another try. Over two weeks ago I ordered a RS front and RS rear bumper. SMC checked with their supplier and informed me that they would be ready in 1 week and so they charged my credit card for the $1120.00 for the parts plus shipping. Today I received a call that the price was now over $1800.00 (over 60% increase) for the parts (no shipping) so I told them to just cancel the order. Looks like things really haven't changed much over the years. If and when this old Porsche market cools off (or corrects) places like this are going to feel the pain. So who is your go to source for Porsche parts?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 885 Likes on 536 Posts

Usually get stuff from Stoddard, but occasionally have gotten stuff form SMC. Even though it has been bought out, the name Stoddard means a lot to us "old" Porsche guys. First saw Chuck at my first Parade in 1972...

Ordered some small parts from Stoddard a few days ago and they were in AZ within a couple days!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I get most of my stuff from Pelican.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I've probably bought from everyone, here's my read:
Circle Porsche - awesome, online ordering decent prices, local to me, fast and friendly services

Sunset Porsche - awesome, fast, good prices

RM European - Good service. this is basically a front end for most of SSF's catalog, I use for OEM stuff. They have fantastic prices, cheap shipping, and for me in CA, I get it next day at ground rates

Pelican - Good services. I've never had a bad experience, their pricing is not the most competitive, but they have an expanded catalog beyond RM European that I'll order from. They stock a lot of odd things from the smaller makers that make it easier to get from them.

Sierra Madre - MIXED. They carry some rep stuff for the older cars, and that quality has generally been good, but, expectations setting, shipping lead times, etc leave a lot to be desired. I have a 914 RS type wheel I ordered from them and it was fine, except it didn't come with the spacer it showed in the pictures so that cost me another $300 in parts and labor to deal with, to their credit they gave me a store credit, but it was a hassle. Shipping if they have it is fast, if they don't, zero communication. Last order they part shipped the order and never gave me a lead time on the rest of it and it was more than 3 weeks.

Stoddard - I have ordered a few things from them for my 71 and they shipped fast but the quality of the parts was "just OK". I feel like the rep. parts I got from SMC were better.

Aase Sales - good experience so far. Lots of good stuff for the older cars, shipped fast and good communication.

Patrick Motorsports - good for hop up parts. no issues with what I have bought.

Elephant Racing - good quality, generally, but oil cooler kit for long hood was like 85% there, 2 soft lines had to be remade and the brackets were way off and had to be fabricated. Service was pretty good, but offered no relief on the issues with their "kit". The stuff they make is good quality, their adjustable spring plates are nice. communication on ship lead times was not great.

PMB Performance - Great quality stuff and service. Had a small issue on shipping incomplete but they rectified it fast.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyerx:
Antonov (06-28-2019), Gmanscott (06-26-2019), Uwon (07-01-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:49 AM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I have bought from:

Pelican with mixed results. Generally I order stuff from them with little to no issues. There have been exceptions.

Rennline with excellent results.

Sierra Madre - about three times with zero issues.

Aase Sales - generally positive. The one issue I had was not their fault but a very slow supplier.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:13 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

every company makes mistakes, especially in such a small market as vintage Porsche parts are these days. PLUS now the market is diluted with many many reproduction parts, half of them crap, and too many people hanging out a sign advertising their wares but not even a legit company. Jorge at Sierra Madre grew too quickly, and is often confused with Stoddard (done on purpose?) and has copied a lot of "stuff" that others have already make and market well. He also recently bought Bursch and now that place is a mess as they cannot get their production back up.

Before the internet, the old players were the old reliables: Aase (used porsche parts) Automotion, (general new Porsche parts) Stoddard, (356 parts) PB Tweeks, (general Porsche parts) Performance Products, (general Porsche parts and Automobile Atlanta (914 parts). The internet killed most of them, especially when Wayne of Pelican jumped on the internet first. I would though support your Porsche community, even if their parts cost a little more. Those places are reliable and will always do the right thing. One cardinal rule though, in referring to your problem with the spoiler, NEVER CHARGE FOR A PART UNLESS IT IS READY TO SHIP WITH A TRACKING NUMBER ON IT. (too many internet sites are set up to charge when you hit the "buy" button, which is crap for a specialty company
Old 06-26-2019, 09:31 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I have purchased from almost all of the parts suppliers mentioned in this thread, as well as other such as Partsklassick, most many times. I shop selection, availability, quality, and price, and Sierra Madre is probably my first stop for shopping. I have never had the slightest problem with them in dozens of purchases. Everybody has an occasional bad day.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:24 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have used Sierra Madre for alot of my 1969T restoration.
No issues. Only ordered from them online. Never had to call them for anything.
Prices are usually lower then Stoddard.

I use Stoddard for other things that Sierra dont have.

Quick Reply: Bad Experience with Sierra Madre