Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 targa won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 07:39 AM
davw
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 87 targa won't start

Hi. I'm new to this board, and to 911 ownership (4 months) and I have my first problem. My 87 Targa won't turn over. It has an immobiliser, but this is working correctly, the starter solenoid is clicking across which proves the above, and also proves the starter solenoid is ok. When I put the radio/ lights on and try and start the car, the stereo and lights do not stop/ dim which suggestes the battery is OK (I charged it up fully as well).
Having said all this, the car makes no attempt at all to turn over. I turn the key, and starter solenoid clicks, fuel pump starts pumping, and no turning over. I'm thinking there may be an issue with the starter motor itself, so what I'd like to know, along with anything else I can check, is -is this a difficult, and expensive job to remove, and recondition/ replace?
this is the first time (in the 4 months) that there has been any indication that there would be a starting problem, no hesitancy/ bad starting at all.

Thanks for any help/ advice

Thanks
Old 01-14-2002, 04:12 PM
aikenryan
3rd Gear

Davw,
The problem still could be with the solenoid. I had a similar problem with an old BMW motorcycle I was restoring (which probably uses the same Bosch components). The solenoid has two functions: 1) is to engage the starter motor gear with the gear on the engine's flywheel, 2) is to make the connection between the starter motor and battery. The click you hear is the solenoid doing the first part of it's job...engaging the starter gear...it may not be doing job number 2. You can use a screwdriver to bridge across the two high-tension terminals on the solenoid and test the starter motor...if the starter motor spins when you connect the two terminals, you've probably got a bad solenoid.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:57 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If its the starter, you need to try and roll the car slightly and then release the clutch, this may move things just enough to get the starter to work. If the car turns over, you will still need to replace the starter a.s.a.p. I recommend that you use Porsche parts only (for the warranty). I just went through this last September.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 01-15-2002, 11:08 AM
davw
2nd Gear

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I bridged across using a screwdriver, and as well as a rather warm screwdriver, I succeeded in spinning the starter motor! It looks like you were correct, and it was still the solenoid that was at fault.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 87 targa won't start