Gen light ans oil level

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 03:20 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gen light ans oil level

Hello,
Long time no visit. After a little bit of help please.
I started my 1976 911S for the first time in 18 months. After the smoke settles down I noticed that the alternator light was still on. I rev it a bit but it remains on. I rebuilt the alternator years ago but the car has done no miles since. Also the oil level gauge shows over full. I checked the oil level in the correct way and it's a third up from Min.
Cheers

Frank.

Update,
Started it again 2 hours later and now the alternator light goes out if you give it a rev. I don't know. Maybe it took a while to wake up??????

Last edited by psychoideas; 06-15-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Without knowing whether you have the original mechanical VR or an electronic one, its hard to offer anything constructive on that. I would suggest you make sure that both ends of all battery connections are bright, shiny, and clean.

Regarding the oil level gauge: these are never to be trusted for determining oil level. The dipstick is THE gospel, but only when the oil is at operating temperature (>85 deg C).
Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Without knowing whether you have the original mechanical VR or an electronic one, its hard to offer anything constructive on that. I would suggest you make sure that both ends of all battery connections are bright, shiny, and clean.

Regarding the oil level gauge: these are never to be trusted for determining oil level. The dipstick is THE gospel, but only when the oil is at operating temperature (>85 deg C).

G'day Steve,
Good to here from you, hope this message finds you well.
Now is VR Voltage Regulator? Are they on the rear of the Alternator???
Yes I know the gauge for oil level cannot be trusted. But it always used to work somewhere on the dial. I do check oil on the dipstick and it looks OK. I just don't like seeing gauges in front of me that don't work. Oh and now the fuel tank gauge shows MT when I know there's half a tank.

Too many challenges in my life at the moment to dedicate all my time to the 911 unfortunately.
Regards

Quick Reply: Gen light ans oil level