Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

996 to an '87 Coupe......

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 AM
phattey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 to an '87 Coupe......

Hey folks .....I sold my '00 C4 Cab 2 months ago and started looking for a clean '87/88 911. Don't ask why...I loved the 996, but the older 911 really has my heart. Different animal? You bet, but for me '87/88 is the one I've always wanted.

I found a good example here locally...all records, even a "little" black book where the owner has indicated every thing he's done. He's like me, he likes to do a lot of the work himself. Simple stuff, like oil changes, freon charges, vavle adjustment, etc. At any rate, I made him an offer he accecpted.

Now the fun stuff. We drove it about 50 miles and it's just fine. Two things have me a little concerned though. Again only a little concerned 'casue I know with this old of a car, there will be expenses to deal with.

1. There's a very faint "rattle" when releasing the clutch at a standstill in 1st gear. Not a noise when slowing to a stop sign or red light where you might "slowly" put it in 1st from 2nd, but only at standstill moving forward.
Might be common for the model year...I just don't know. At 70,000 miles it may be near clutch time.

2. No smoke at initial cranck up...which makes me think the valve guides might be okay, but...if they aren't or if they go soon...what is the cost of that repair?

Thanks....Phattey...
Old 02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

#1 - mine does that when cold - goes away. You don't have trouble putting it into gear do you?

#2 - Look at oil consumption - that's probably a better indicator. I think the valve guide issue is a little over blown.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:21 PM
phattey
Instructor

It did seem to go away, however at one stop I felt I couldn't quite get it into 1st...

I thought maybe it was me, since I was more used to the 996 gearbox, but now you have me thinking.

What are your thoughts on that..??
Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phattey,
I had the same problem on my '85 911. I had trouble getting it into 1st gear as well. I found that going to another gear and then first corrected this problem. Mine only chattered when it was cold though. however, I am sorry to say that I did have to replace the clutch in the end. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 02-16-2004, 09:48 PM
phattey
Instructor

Hmmm...

Mabye it's simply the rubber o-ring around the shift linkage. I saw something about that in another thread somewhere.

But I guess as long as the noise settles down, I'll live with it.

The car goes in tomorrow for a PPI. The owner seemed a little reluctant, but I told him that it was a deal breaker if we didn't.

If all is well..I'll bring it home tomorrow. If there's work to be done to justify an almost full retail price, I'll may try to negociate him down or walk away.

Thanks for the replies..

Phattey...
Old 02-17-2004, 02:30 AM
kenshi
Advanced

I just got a new clutch in my 88 last week. Original clutch lasted 95k miles. Here is what i noticed between the 2 and might help you figure out if it is time for a new clutch ($1800). If it has the original clutch, you are porbably due for a new one shortly. When it goes, it goes.

Pedal Pressure, old clutch very hard, new clutch softer, not 996 soft but softer.
Friction point, old clutch about 1 inch from top, new clutch about 1 inch from bottom.
Bite old clutch there is a slow grip, new clutch sharp bite.

Chatter might be from a flywheel that needs attention.

A well sorted Carrera should need minimal attention. I spent most of my car money on performance stuff that was not needed, but fun A top end rebuild costs about $4000 in my neck of the woods.

Quick Reply: 996 to an '87 Coupe......