Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steam Cleaning bitumen/asphalt

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Steam Cleaning bitumen/asphalt

Cryogenic/ dry-ice blasting is rare in these parts and the time has come to clean the underside and wheel wells of my '74 911. The car was treated when new to all of the associated rust proofing products of the era. As such it hasn't rusted ANYWHERE, ever. All the plugs are still intact where the "special sauce" was applied in 1974. This was a long term owned car by a Porsche aficionado who kept it up like few others I've run across over the years.

The wheel wells are the areas which bother me the most as they have a good layer of "black" on them. I've talked with a gentleman who did use steam on a car he prepared before selling it. Sounded tedious and care had to be exercised so as not to remove the factory finish underneath. That's the key.

Would like feedback from anyone who has used a steam generator to perform this.

My other option is to trailer the car about 3.5 hours away for cryogenic/ice blasting. Then again, the shop owner who subs this out said the last one they did with undercoating took 2 days which isn't really adding to my enthusiasm for that process.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:01 PM
danco_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are on the fence and can leave the car for a day or two, I'd recommend it. Dry ice is less invasive than steam, and will not lodge water into places where it should not be. Being as your chassis is not galvanized, I'd go with dry ice blasting over steam cleaning.

If you have access to instagram, check out these guys for an idea of what you can expect from dry ice blasting. These guys are local to me, and I have dealt with them twice with great results.
View this post on Instagram

I know they aren't local to you, but this will at least give you an idea of what you can expect.

https://www.instagram.com/cryowerks/?hl=en
GL
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Great link and they are taking off undercoating in a few of the videos! No doubt about the dry ice. I've had a short conversation with someone local to me who does soda blasting but also claims to do dry ice cleaning too. I'm going to check out his operation if time permits.
Thanks for your input!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Cryowerks in San Diego do excellent work. Owned by Porsche enthusiasts who love cars.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Maryland is a stretch. California is out of the question.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Steam Cleaning bitumen/asphalt