Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help with Blaupunkt radio failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Blaupunkt radio failure

Here's my dilemma. My 1987 Porsche Targa is all original (17,600 miles) except for the tires and Optima battery. Yes, it's a garage queen, but I'm not really an ultimate concours fanatic.

The Blaupunkt Reno radio in my 911 has bitten the dust. It was always an amusingly horrible stereo which I used sparingly. Now, the radio will not produce any sound, but still powers on and tunes. I can safely assume that the headunit is dead.

Personally, I hate the disco-style stereos available in the aftermarket, even though they are certainly superior to the OEM radio.

I want to keep the 911 original-looking, so what do I do with the stereo?

1) Nothing. Just leave the radio alone and enjoy the sounds of the 911 experience?

2) Obtain a new alternative OEM-looking stereo like this $175 unit from SW stereo:

(Note: This Blaupunkt Dearborn radio looks AMAZINGLY like the Reno!)

3) Repair the radio somewhere?

Appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Dean

4)
Old 02-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Mark sP
Instructor

If I were in your shoes I would investigate a repair. I agree that most modern stereos look wrong in the oldy worldy dash of a 911.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Glus63
AutoX

I'm not sure I can provide much help, but more commiseration. I just bought an 87 911 Cabriolet, with the original Blaupunkt Reno -- I found that the right channel (both front and rear) come in an out on each bump in the road. Also, the tape controls don't work very well, so I'm considering replacing it also.
One of the recommendations on this list was to use the Blaupunkt Sacramento, which is a single CD player/radio. It doesn't have the same look as the old one, but seems more suitable (in terms of looks) than some of the new, "disco-style" ones as you call them.
I have a couple of questions also:
1. Will any DIN standard radio fit?
2. Somewhere I saw where there were instructions on how to make your own removal tool from a coat hanger. Does anyone know how/where?
3. Also, I'd second the request for recommendations on suitable replacement radios.

Thanks,
Old 02-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

Glus63,

I'm not sure the Blaupunkt Sacramento is the "classic" look that I want. Too many colors and not really the period-specific look for an 80's Porsche. I'll look into repair possibilities, but the Blaupunkt Dearborn looks like an "old school" or retro design catering to those looking for OEM replacements.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Tcannon88
1st Gear

Dean-0

FYIY, I have a Blau Phoenix that is almost identical (but plays MP3s) to the Sacramento. I too am very sensitive about the new radios with too many flashiing lights. Most of the Blau radios let you turn off much of the display and are not nearly as obnoxious when installed. It seemed to be the best way to go to get a CD player that still 'fit' aesthetically.

HTH

Tom

88 Targa
Old 02-16-2004, 02:39 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

it sounds like the amp section of the radio went bad. This is usually cause by a bad speaker in the car. are the speakers stock if so you are going to have to replace them. sometimes the amp in the radio will go into protection and when you replace the bad speaker it will come back on. I have 2 highend car audio stores and i would reccommed going to a good shop and letting them diagnose the problem. You are probably going to see that the radio is bad but if you put a new one in there with bad speakers you are going to short out the amp in the new radio also.

Quick Reply: Need help with Blaupunkt radio failure